• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

life style

At the end is the passage:
    “But that may have more to do with Japanese life style…Urban Japanese have long endured lengthy commute and crowded living conditions, but as the old group and family value weaken, the discomfort is beginning to tell. In the past decade, the Japanese divorce rate, while still well below that of the United states, has increased by more than 50 percent, and suicides have increased by nearly one-quarter.”
    1. Can you see the change in Japanese life-style is revealed in the fact that the young are less tolerant of discomforts in life from the above?
    2. I will see the change in Japanese life-style is revealed in the fact that the divorce rate in Japan exceeds that in the U.S. from the above. In my eyes, divorce belongs to life style.
    What do you think of them?
    Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: life style

Quote Originally Posted by notletrest View Post
    “But that may have more to do with Japanese life style…Urban Japanese have long endured lengthy commute and crowded living conditions, but as the old group and family value weaken, the discomfort is beginning to tell. In the past decade, the Japanese divorce rate, while still well below that of the United states, has increased by more than 50 percent, and suicides have increased by nearly one-quarter.”
    1. Can you see the change in Japanese life-style is revealed in the fact that the young are less tolerant of discomforts in life from the above?
    2. I will see the change in Japanese life-style is revealed in the fact that the divorce rate in Japan exceeds that in the U.S. from the above. In my eyes, divorce belongs to life style.
    Thanks!
    What are you supposed to be doing with this?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    What are you supposed to be doing with this?
    I wongder why you ask me such a question. Directly, I can say it is not for money but for knowledge.
    Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I think the question is not what you inferred. Is 2 supposed to be an answer to 1?

The divorce rate is not higher than the rate in the US, by the way.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Cool Re: life style

“But that may have more to do with Japanese life style…Urban Japanese have long endured lengthy commute and crowded living conditions, but as the old group and family value weaken, the discomfort is beginning to tell. In the past decade,...and suicides have increased by nearly one-quarter.”
    Thanks!
    Obviously, it is a question of comprehension in China graduate entrance test of 2000. Question of the test is:
    ' The change in Japanese life-style is revealed in the fact that
    A. the young are less tolerant of discomforts in life .
    B. the divorce rate in Japan exceeds that in the U.S."
    The key given by the government is A. But I think it should be B.
    My question is : Do you agree with me?
    I am asking for your help.
    Besides, according to common sense, if there is not much change in a country ,the divorce rate will not change much for a long time, either. But the passage points out " the Japanese divorce rate, while still well below that of the United States ,has increased by more than 50 percent."
    thanks a lot!
    Last edited by notletrest; 22-Aug-2012 at 09:35. Reason: correction

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

It can't be B. The text says, "the Japanese divorce rate, while still well below that of the United States ...".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    It can't be B. The text says, "the Japanese divorce rate, while still well below that of the United States ...".
    Dear Mr 5jj,
    Sorry you didn't quote the whole sentence. It is " In the past decade,the Japanese divorce rate, while still well below that of the United States, has increased by more than 50 percent,..."
    I think " well below" referred to " the past decade". I am not right, are I?
    By the way, even if B isn't right, is A right?
    Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Obviously, it is a question of comprehension in China graduate entrance test of 2000. Question of the test is:
    My question is : Do you agree with me?
    I am asking for your help.
    Besides, according to common sense, if there is not much change in a country ,the divorce rate will not change much for a long time, either. But the passage points out " the Japanese divorce rate, while still well below that of the United States ,has increased by more than 50 percent."
    thanks a lot!
    There is no "obviously " in this. It was completely unclear to Bhai and to me what you were asking.

The divorce rate is still lower than in the US at the time it was written. Answer B ignores the suicide issue. The answer is clearly not B.

Your response is rude and shows a complete lack of appreciation for the pages and pages of threads your posts have led to in the past. Until you can muster some courtesy, I would not be surprised if your posts received a lot less attention.
    Last edited by Barb_D; 22-Aug-2012 at 12:16.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Obviously, it is a question of comprehension in China graduate entrance test of 2000.
    Not being familiar with the "China graduate entrance test of 2000", and as you didn't ask an actual question, it was far from obvious to me.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Not being familiar with the "China graduate entrance test of 2000", and as you didn't ask an actual question, it was far from obvious to me.
    Thanks for your twice coming here.
    Could you help me find out " the change in Japanese life-style is revealed in the fact that the young are less tolerant of discomforts in life" from what I quoted? As a student asks a teacher with the question ,is it actual? I am so stupid that I cannot make myself understood!
    Thank you very much!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast