Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
In Korea, we rarely say "my doctor" or "my dentist" and I think it's because of different medical systems between Korea and North America - I used to live in Canada. In Canada, I couldn't go to a clinic directly, but by way of a family doctor who issues a referral; In Korea, we can go to any clinic or hospital without a referral.
So is that why you say "my doctor" and even "my dentist"? Does the following "his dentist" refer to his regular one?

pp14
ex)One day, a patient went to his dentist's office. During the patient's treatment, the dentist asked him...

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
In Korea, we rarely say "my doctor" or "my dentist" and I think it's because of different medical systems between Korea and North America - I used to live in Canada. In Canada, I couldn't go to a clinic directly, but by way of a family doctor who issues a referral; In Korea, we can go to any clinic or hospital without a referral.
So is that why you say "my doctor" and even "my dentist"? Does the following "his dentist" refer to his regular one?

pp14
ex)One day, a patient went to his dentist's office. During the patient's treatment, the dentist asked him...

Yes, I would think so.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It doesn't matter what kind of health system or insurance we have. If a doctor/dentist/plumber/mechanic/etc. is the person that we regularly go to, then he is "my doctor/etc/."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In the UK, you can only visit a doctor's surgery if you are registered there as a patient. You are generally registered with one particular doctor but you don't have to see that person for your appointment, but you can only attend that surgery for a medical appointment that is not an emergency.

The same goes for a dentist to some extent. If you choose to pay for a private dentist, then you can phone for an appointment and you just pay for that one appointment. You don't have to go back there next time, you can pick another dentist if you want to. However, we still have non-private dentists (NHS dentists) where treatment is much cheaper. In order to be seen by one of these dentists, you must register with their dental practice and you must attend at least once every 6 to 12 months for a check-up in order to remain registered with them. If you fail to attend at least once, they are allowed to strike your name from their register and you can't go there any more.

I don't really know how routine appointments work in the UK if you choose to have private healthcare/health insurance. I've never been able to afford it!

Mohammadhelmi

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Yes, i agree with you.
You can call the doctor you usually go to is my doctor is the same as the doctor. :cool:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Yes, i agree with you.
You can call the doctor you usually go to is my doctor is the same as the doctor. :cool:
Mohammadhelmi, if you are, as you say you are, a teacher of English, then please try to write coherent English.

Status
Not open for further replies.