[Grammar] past continuous for past habits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonyan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
Hello
I was wondering whether it's correct to use past continuous to describe past habits. For example, istead of saying : I used to smoke in my late teens/ I smoked in my late teens/ I would smoke in my late teens, can we also say " I was smoking in my late teens" meaning I no longer smoke?
I remember asking my host family while in England aand they said it's correct, but I still doubt it and I've never used it.

• :?:

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
You can say 'I was smoking in my late teens' It has the same meaning as 'I smoked in my late teens'. However none of those sentences imply that you no longer smoke, merely that you smoked in your late teens.

If you want to imply that you smoked in your late teens but do not smoke any more, you could say 'I haven't smoked since my late teens'.

Not a teacher.....Yet

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You cannot say, "I would smoke in my late teens" in this context.

antonyan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
Could you please explain to me why "I would smoke a lot in my late teens" doesn't sound correct, as all the structures I used are supposed to be used with action verbs to state past habits according to my grammar books!

• :?:

Sorry for sticking so heavily on grammar books but for learners of English they're a source to be trusted if they don't get the chance to disprove them through another reliable source!

Status
Not open for further replies.