Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Not that I have any idea what the sentence means, but it is an example of the spelling "arncha" for "aren't you":

You are bringing squeezins arncha?

I just googled the word to see if it's used, because I couldn't remember if there was an informal spelling for this. It doesn't seem to be used a lot. Is there anything more common than this reflecting the palatalized pronunciation [STRIKE]with a reduced vowel at the end[/STRIKE] (not necessarily)?

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've seen "doncha" as in "doncha know" to mean "don't you know" but I have never seen "arncha." However, I suspect you are right.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
your coming aintcha (you are coming, aren't you).
'aintcha' is far more comprehensible to me than 'arncha'. I am not sure why - I think I must have seen it enough for it not to puzzle me. When I first saw the title of this thread, I had no idea what it was going to be about.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I thought you'd be wondering what "squeezins" were, too.

(Corn squeezings, that is. Moonshine whiskey.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've been looking a bit more it seems the spellings "arentcha" and "aren'tcha" are used more often: https://www.google.com/search?q=arentcha

I would certainly have put a "t" in it somewhere if I had to guess at a spelling. I would probably have gone for "arntcha" but no matter how you spell it, it's purely a phonetic attempt at the word. I also see "dontcha" much more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.