• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

a first look

The following in red is the first sentence of a section, and I'm not sure of what it says in the context.

So there you have it: a first look at our hard targets. As fas as a time frame for reaching these targets, everything outlined in the preceding pages should be achievable within 25 years... Of course, now that we've defined our targets and our timetable, there's another problem to resolve: the fact that all this seems a little too far-fecthed.

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: a first look

Quote Originally Posted by unpakwon View Post
    The following in red is the first sentence of a section, and I'm not sure of what it says in the context.

So there you have it: a first look at our hard targets. As fas as a time frame for reaching these targets, everything outlined in the preceding pages should be achievable within 25 years... Of course, now that we've defined our targets and our timetable, there's another problem to resolve: the fact that all this seems a little too far-fecthed.

Thank you.
    "So there you have it" in that context is an apparent reference to a report or presentation that was made immediately preceding the remaining statements. "a first look at" = refers to the fact that the report/presentation was the first time the report/presentation on goals/objectives for the business or organization (?) had been made.

Another way to make the statement in red could be: "So, what you have just seen/heard, for the first time, is a report/presentation on our ambitious goals/objectives for the future".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Re: a first look

Hi,

Not knowing what precedes this paragraph, what I'm giving you is just my guess:

You are a member of a group (whatever its nature is) which was given a task. Before starting to carry it out, you needed to know certain things, like timing, aims, etc. So you had somebody (within or outside the group) outline that for you. Now that person has finished and comes to give you the results. So s/he hands you a memo and says "So there you have it: a first look at our hard targets."

It's just a first look [a draft, in other words] because, as you work on them, new considerations may arise which will change the outline (especially if it's going to take 25 years to reach your goals).

charliedeut
    Please be aware that I'm neither a native English speaker nor a teacher.