Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 141
    #1

    The meaning of "was typically the case"

    Martin Hewings has said about the use of the structure “might + infinitive” in the book “Advanced Grammar In Use”:

    “We use might (not 'may') + infinitive to talk about what was typically the case in the past.”

    I want to know what “was typically the case” exactly means? (I think that it means “was typically true".)

    What is your opinion?
    Last edited by Shamsiyan; 23-Aug-2012 at 14:07.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 3,505
    #2

    Re: The meaning of "was typically the case"

    "was typically the case" = something or some characteristic that was usual or common.

  1. tzfujimino's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 2,698
    #3

    Re: The meaning of "was typically the case"

    Hello.
    I'm interested in that usage.
    Could you give me some example sentences?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 3,505
    #4

    Re: The meaning of "was typically the case"

    Quote Originally Posted by tzfujimino View Post
    Hello.
    I'm interested in that usage.
    Could you give me some example sentences?
    A period of calm before a severe storm is typically the case in certain parts of the country.
    Huge sums of money spent in presidential campaigns is typically the case preceding the election.
    Tossing the bridal bouquet by the bride to unmarried females is typically the case at many wedding receptions.
    Death by hanging was typically the case as the ultimate punishment in many countries.


  2. tzfujimino's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 2,698
    #5

    Re: The meaning of "was typically the case"

    Quote Originally Posted by billmcd View Post
    A period of calm before a severe storm is typically the case in certain parts of the country.
    Huge sums of money spent in presidential campaigns is typically the case preceding the election.
    Tossing the bridal bouquet by the bride to unmarried females is typically the case at many wedding receptions.
    Death by hanging was typically the case as the ultimate punishment in many countries.

    Thank you for your kind reply, billmcd.
    And... my apology for not being clear.
    I was asking the usage of "might" being used to "talk about what was typically the case in the past".
    I am really sorry.

  3. charliedeut's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 5,560
    #6

    Re: The meaning of "was typically the case"

    Quote Originally Posted by tzfujimino View Post
    Thank you for your kind reply, billmcd.
    And... my apology for not being clear.
    I was asking the usage of "might" being used to "talk about what was typically the case in the past".
    I am really sorry.
    I was also trying to come up with sentences containing "was typically the case" (and was having a hard time too ).
    Please be aware that I'm neither a native English speaker nor a teacher.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 141
    #7

    Re: The meaning of "was typically the case"

    Quote Originally Posted by tzfujimino View Post
    Hello.
    I'm interested in that usage.
    Could you give me some example sentences?
    Here are examples from "Advanced Grammar In Use":

    During the war, the police might arrest you for criticising the king.
    Years ago children might be sent down mines at the age of six.
    Last edited by Shamsiyan; 24-Aug-2012 at 10:08. Reason: Grammatical

Similar Threads

  1. [General] The meaning of "I am bumping it in case anybody else can"
    By Shamsiyan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-May-2012, 05:32
  2. [Grammar] "If" vs "in case (of)" - reopening of a past thread
    By JarekSteliga in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-Jan-2012, 22:16
  3. "For" case in "The man is fishing for fish"
    By leke in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-Dec-2010, 12:11
  4. What is the meaning of "Pussy" in this case?
    By Williamyh in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-Apr-2010, 18:07
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-Dec-2007, 15:04

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •