• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

get together

Dear teachers, I have some doubts about the use and the concrete meaning of the phrasal verb "to get together".

1) in the sentence below, can "to get together" be replaced with "to pull together"? Are they synonyms?

A. Hey, Get yourself together! Everyone's watching you.

2) What's the meaning of "to get it together" in the sentence below? Might it mean "to relax", "to calm down" or is it always a synonym of "to pull oneself together"?

B. Sheila was very upset before the get-together, but she got it together before her friends came over.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: get together

Quote Originally Posted by dilodi83 View Post
    Dear teachers, I have some doubts about the use and the concrete meaning of the phrasal verb "to get together".

1) in the sentence below, can "to get together" be replaced with "to pull together"? Are they synonyms?

A. Hey, Get yourself together! Everyone's watching you. OR "pull yourself together" could be used interchangeably but I think in AmE you would hear "pull etc." more frequently.

2) What's the meaning of "to get it together" in the sentence below? Might it mean "to relax", "to calm down" or is it always a synonym of "to pull oneself together"? OR "compose one's self" OR "get organized"

B. Sheila was very upset before the get-together (meeting/party etc.), but she got it together (composed herself)before her friends came over.

I believe you understand that "to get together" and "to pull together" have entirely different meanings when not used with a reflexive or other personal pronoun. If not, submit another thread.

b.