• Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

while -though- when not

Hi,

1. While not at school, he enjoys traveling California and spending time with his family.

2. He worked when not at school in the family business.

3. Economic news, while not great, was at least good enough to dispel fears of a double-dip recession.

4. Other laws, while not aimed at pagan belief as such, forbid particular pagan practices.

5. I wear them to work, although not at the same time.

6.This was good fiscal policy, even if not perfectly executed at each point.

Could you please tell me these sentences are suitable for the grammar or not? Can we shorten them in that way?

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: while -though- when not

Quote Originally Posted by aysaa View Post
    Hi,

1. While not at school, he enjoys traveling California and spending time with his family.

2. He worked when not at school in the family business.

3. Economic news, while not great, was at least good enough to dispel fears of a double-dip recession.

4. Other laws, while not aimed at pagan belief as such, forbid particular pagan practices.

5. I wear them to work, although not at the same time.

6.This was good fiscal policy, even if not perfectly executed at each point.

Could you please tell me these sentences are suitable for the grammar or not? Can we shorten them in that way?

Thanks.
    3, 4 ,5 and 6 are fine. I would change "While" to "When" in #1 and put "in" or "around" before "California". #2 doesn't seem natural to me.