• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

several times over, planet Vulcan

Mr Romney will have other problems in wooing the electorate. He would be the richest candidate ever to win a big-party nomination and he reeks of privilege. His father was a governor as well, and he himself studied law at Harvard.On the other hand, Mr Obama is a millionaire several times over, can give a fair impression of having come from the planet Vulcan, and also studied law at Harvard.

I do not understand "several times over" and "planet Vulcan" in the above paragraph. Could anyone explain?

Thanks!

JY

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: several times over, planet Vulcan

Quote Originally Posted by Jiayun View Post
    I do not understand "several times over" and "planet Vulcan" in the above paragraph. Could anyone explain?
    He is worth several million dollars, not just one million.

He perhaps reminds people of Spock from Star Trek.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Thanks!

It seems to me that the writer was drawing a comparison between the Republican and Obama by first describing the Republican came from a rich family and "on the other hand" Obama came from a poorer class. So I am confused about the writer's intention here since according to his description Obama is also rich (worth of several million dollars). Did he mean that although Obama is worth of several million dollars there is still a big gap between him and the Republican in terms of personal wealth?

Moreover, I have checked your website link which is very helpful. I found that Vulcans are noted for their attempt to live by reason and logic with no interference from emotion and they gave massive assistance to a devastated post-World War III Earth, enabling the planet to eliminate poverty, disease and suffering within a single century. Do you think those are the features that Obama and Vulcans share in common which made the writer depict Obama as a Vulcans?

JY

Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    He is worth several million dollars, not just one million.

He perhaps reminds people of Spock from Star Trek.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Jiayun View Post
    Moreover, I have checked your website link which is very helpful. I found that Vulcans are noted for their attempt to live by reason and logic with no interference from emotion and they gave massive assistance to a devastated post-World War III Earth, enabling the planet to eliminate poverty, disease and suffering within a single century. Do you think those are the features that Obama and Vulcans share in common which made the writer depict Obama as a Vulcans?

JY
    You have the right idea, but the details are not important; the writer - like me - probably didn't know about the 'post World War III' bit. People who know about Star Trek 'back stories' have a name: 'Trekkies'.

Journalists often compare politicians to Dr Spock - whether they inhabit the political left, like Obama, or the right, like John Redwood MP (John Redwood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Mr Romney will have other problems in wooing the electorate. He would be the richest candidate ever to win a big-party nomination and he reeks of privilege. His father was a governor as well, and he himself studied law at Harvard.On the other hand, Mr Obama is a millionaire several times over, can give a fair impression of having come from the planet Vulcan, and also studied law at Harvard.

I went to the article in The Economist and here's what I think.
    In the paragraph you quote from, the writer is not making a point about the differences between the candidates, but is pointing out what he sees as similarities.
    He's saying: Romney's image problems including his great wealth, his Harvard education and general position of privilege, seem to be factors that might work against him .. on the other hand, Obama's not that much different*, so maybe Romney's problems aren't so bad.

*Obama is also very wealthy, is a Harvard law graduate and sometimes gives an impression of being unsettlingly cool and contained (Spock-like), and I think the writer is equating this with the personal "chilliness" that Romney is often accused of.

not a teacher