• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

One of the recurring questions

How is this underlined related to the rest of the writing? This seems to talk about how long life will continue on earth, and how is the curiosity about aliens related to the theme?

pr30
    ex)Even if we had not wished to worry about the Earth, the state of our planet has forced us to change the ways in which we conduct our work. We are unraveling the secrets of such planets as Venus and Mars, and the numerous others that we find orbiting stars in our Milky Way. As a result, it is impossible not to look at our own planet and ask ourselves whether it will be capable of continuing to accomodate life and to resist the tremendous changes that humans impose on its revolution, surpassing the natural changes. One of the recurring questions that people would like astronomers to answer is whether those newly discovered distant planets also harbor life. Logically, we therefore ask ourselves how long life as we know it will continue to exist on the only planet that we know for certain is inhabited.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: One of the recurring questions

If we are concerned about how long this planet will be able to sustain the human race, then we are logically going to look at other planets to see if it might be possible for us to go and live there. If another planet harbo(u)rs life already, then there is a possibility that in the future, humans might be able to reach that planet and live there too. It's important to find out as early as possible which planets would be capable of sustaining us should we have to abandon Earth and move to another planet.

Saying that another planet harbo(u)rs life doesn't necessarily mean aliens! It might just mean that it has an atmosphere we would be able to breathe and has a water source. Scientists would probably only have to find a small piece of living moss or algae or even some kind of bacteria on another planet and that would show that it currently harbo(u)rs life.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Actually, the orginal question was about its theme, and the correct answer is 2, but as you told me, maybe 1 can be also the answer. I'm so confused. I don't know if 2 can be the perfect answer.

Q. What is the theme of the writing?
    1. Does life exist on other planets?
    2. How long can the planet earth support life?
    3. It's time to stop space explorations.
    4. We can't establish a civilization in space.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    Actually, the orginal question was about its theme, and the correct answer is 2, but as you told me, maybe 1 can be also the answer. I'm so confused. I don't know if 2 can be the perfect answer.

Q. What is the theme of the writing?
    1. Does life exist on other planets?
    2. How long can the planet earth support life?
    3. It's time to stop space explorations.
    4. We can't establish a civilization in space.
    The main theme is 2. #1 is secondary.