• Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Meaning of a sentence

Hi,
    I read the following sentence in quotes in a newspaper article. Please help me in understanding this.

"Lyricism in subtlety and interpretation, as differing from overt sensationalism."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: Meaning of a sentence

Welcome to the forum, giri.

We like to help when we can, but we need a lot more context than you have provided. What you quoted is not even a complete sentence. It appears to be from some sort of review, but you need to provide more as, for example:

The irony of doubting one’s nimbleness in the language in the cultural capital of the Sri Lankan Tamils is not lost on Valli. “Maybe I was a bit blind,” she says. The day she left Chennai, she had just finished organising a student’s arangetram, a first performance before an audience, and that needed months of preparation. In the meantime, she prepared for the Svanubhava workshop the way she always does — in English. It’s also that she believes, in dialogue as much as in dance, in being well-rehearsed and perfect. “I can talk in Tamil,” she says. “But how do you convey, without preparation, concepts and aesthetics? I am a great believer in the power and the beauty of language, but to communicate powerfully, you need to use metaphors.” And her metaphors are in English. She reads out a line, from the presentation on her tablet computer, that talks of “lyricism in subtlety and interpretation, as differing from overt sensationalism.” Without research and preparation, it does appear a task translating this into Tamil. “When you have a vision in your mind and don’t have the means to do it justice, it’s so frustrating. A great element of ad-libbing is going to be there,” she says, having conscripted T.M. Krishna in her battle. “I’ve told him he has to be emcee. I’m banking on him to save me.”
    http://www.thehindu.com/arts/magazin...service=mobile
    Last edited by 5jj; 26-Aug-2012 at 16:03.

3. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: Meaning of a sentence

Thanks for the quick reply.

I will try to give context. The lady is an "Indian folk dance" professional who has to give a seminar in a foreign country . Her presentation has to be in a different language than english which always used to be her presentation language. She quotes the line highlighting the difficulty of the presentation in different language (Tamil)

Does that help?