Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Nov 2011
    • Posts: 608
    #1

    although will-have to -will

    Hi,

    1) I have to study English tomorrow.
    or
    I will have to study English tomorrow.

    2) Although I take an English exam tomorrow, I haven't studied yet.
    or
    Although I will take an English exam tomorrow, I haven't studied yet.

    Must we use 'will' in those examples or not?

    Thanks.

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #2

    Re: although will-have to -will

    Quote Originally Posted by aysaa View Post
    Hi,

    1) I have to study English tomorrow.
    or
    I will have to study English tomorrow.

    2) Although I take an English exam tomorrow, I haven't studied yet.
    or
    Although I will take an English exam tomorrow, I haven't studied yet.

    Must we use 'will' in those examples or not?

    Thanks.
    Both forms at 1 are OK. Neither example at 2 is natural. the natural way to say it is "Although I am taking an English exam tomorrow..."

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Nov 2011
    • Posts: 608
    #3

    Re: although will-have to -will

    Thanks for the answer. But I couldn't understand something. Can't we use 'will-be going to' with 'although, though, even though' for the meaning of future?

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #4

    Re: although will-have to -will

    Quote Originally Posted by aysaa View Post
    Thanks for the answer. But I couldn't understand something. Can't we use 'will-be going to' with 'although, though, even though' for the meaning of future?
    It's grammatical with "will" or "be going to" but it's more natural with present continuous.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Nov 2011
    • Posts: 608
    #5

    Re: although will-have to -will

    I think there is a different position for the verb ''have'' because we can use the verb 'have' with the meaning of future.

    -Although I have an exam tomorrow, I still don't want to study.

    I think that is OK.

    Thanks.

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #6

    Re: although will-have to -will

    Quote Originally Posted by aysaa View Post
    I think there is a different position for the verb ''have'' because we can use the verb 'have' with the meaning of future.

    -Although I have an exam tomorrow, I still don't want to study.

    I think that is OK.

    Thanks.
    Yes, that's OK.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •