Results 1 to 5 of 5
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Aug 2012
    • Posts: 250
    #1

    not so much a problem

    A contingent continued on to the Liaison Office in Western, to make the point that Hong Kong's own government is not so much a problem as a puppet.

    What does "not so much a problem" mean? It means Hong Kong government is not a puppet?

    Thanks!

    JY

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,626
    #2

    Re: not so much a problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiayun View Post
    A contingent continued on to the Liaison Office in Western, to make the point that Hong Kong's own government is not so much a problem as a puppet.

    What does "not so much a problem" mean? It means Hong Kong government is not a puppet?

    Thanks!

    JY
    No, it means that the HK government is a puppet government.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Aug 2012
    • Posts: 250
    #3

    Re: not so much a problem

    What is the difference between:-

    1. to make the point that Hong Kong's own government is not so much a problem as a puppet; and
    2. to make the point that Hong Kong's own government is a puppet?

    Does 1 means Hong Kong government has no much problem other than being a puppet?


    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    No, it means that the HK government is a puppet government.

  2. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #4

    Re: not so much a problem

    No. It means that although some people think it is a problem it is really a puppet:

    Hong Kong's own government is {not so much a problem as} a puppet

    ______________________________This ^ is what some people think, ^ but this is the truth (what they think is not the truth).

    b

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Aug 2012
    • Posts: 250
    #5

    Re: not so much a problem

    Thanks!

    Let me try to rewrite the sentence and see if you agree with the revised version below:

    "to make the point that Hong Kong government is not the cause of the problem but its being as a puppet is the cause of the problem"


    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    No. It means that although some people think it is a problem it is really a puppet:

    Hong Kong's own government is {not so much a problem as} a puppet

    ______________________________This ^ is what some people think, ^ but this is the truth (what they think is not the truth).

    b

Similar Threads

  1. My problem or my spell check's problem?
    By NarutoDude in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24-Mar-2010, 11:36
  2. still having problem
    By moyasirkhalid in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Dec-2006, 11:17
  3. educational problem vs education problem
    By pucubuwi in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-Oct-2006, 14:17
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Nov-2004, 09:24

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •