I don't get the meaning, please help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hossein31

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Canada
Hi. I don't get the meaning of the underlined part. I would be very grateful if you help me.

Where do ideas come from? This question has always been a bit of a mystery. In ancient times, people thought that ideas came to them when they were visited by a Muse — a kind of ideas spirit. Even now it can seem a bit of a magical process — you can wake up in the night with a really good idea (though it’s usually less impressive in the cold light of day!), or ideas may come to you throughout the day.

Yours
Hossein

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi. I don't get the meaning of the underlined part. I would be very grateful if you help me.

Where do ideas come from? This question has always been a bit of a mystery. In ancient times, people thought that ideas came to them when they were visited by a Muse — a kind of ideas spirit. Even now it can seem a bit of a magical process — you can wake up in the night with a really good idea (though it’s usually less impressive in the cold light of day!), or ideas may come to you throughout the day.

Yours
Hossein
The wonderful idea which came to you at night is not so grand when examined closely when fully awake.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
The wonderful idea which came to you at night is not so grand when examined closely when fully awake.

Hi Gillnetter,

Welcome back, after the "Ban-Gate" .;-) It's good to have such an experienced "newbie" around! :up:

Kindest regards,

Carlos

PS: I tried to PM this, but as a newbie, you are not yet allowed to receive PMs! :shock:

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi Gillnetter,

Welcome back, after the "Ban-Gate" .;-) It's good to have such an experienced "newbie" around! :up:

I'm sure that goes for all of us, Gillnetter
97.gif
. It would have been dreadful to lose such a valuable contributor because of a misunderstanding.

Rover:cheers:

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

hossein31

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Canada
many thanks for your excellent reply. But a question remains:
What is the meaning of "cold light of day" here? Why is the light of day "cold"? How does this "cold light" make an idea "less imperative"?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What is the meaning of "cold light of day" here? Why is the light of day "cold"? How does this "cold light" make an idea "less imperative"?

in the cold light of day

if you think about something in the cold light of day, you think about it clearly and calmly, without the emotions you had at the time it happened, and you often feel sorry or ashamed about it The next morning, in the cold light of day, Sarah realized what a complete idiot she had been.
(The Free Dictionary)

Rover

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks to all for the nice words. It is a pleasure working with all of you - and, it is a worthy challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.