Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
Hello. I have some problems to understand bold idioms of the paragraph. May you help me? Thanks.

Although there was a flurry of interest in Buddhism by psychoanalytic thinkers such as Erich Fromm and Karen Horney in the 1950s and 1960s, this interest to some extent went underground until recent years. Currently, however, there is a marked resurgence of interest in the topic, as reflected in the popularity of books by authors such as Mark Epstein (1995, 1998, 2001), Jeffrey Rubin (1996), John Suler (1993), Anthony Molino (1998), and Barry Magid (2002). Epstein’s books in particular seem to have struck a chord with both a nonprofessional audience and the psychoanalytic community. This increased interest parallels the tremendous popularity of Buddhism in popular culture, where, to paraphrase John Lennon’s quip about the Beatles being more popular than Jesus Christ, the Dalai Lama wins the contest with Sigmund Freud, hands down. While the devout analyst may regard this statement as sacrilegious, like it or not, Buddhism gives every sign of being here to stay within our culture. and its influence on psychoanalytic thinking is growing.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's really easy to search for idioms online. Why not try that first then let us know if you still have questions.

Instrukcija4

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
I searched for them in the internet, but I wonder if there is no specific meanings. I just wanted to be sure.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"To some extent" - I'm not sure if this is even an idiom at all. It means what is says. In this case, the interest did not go completely, totally underground. It did so only partially.

"Struck a chord" - to cause someone to remember something; to remind someone of something; to be familiar.

"While the devout analyst may regard this statement as sacrilegious" - ​I'm not sure what you think is idiomatic here.

Instrukcija4

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
struck a chord - They mean here that Epstein's books reminded to those both groups about the topic?

And about the last. Maybe there is no an idiom. But that ''sacrilegious'', I guess they mean not the religious meaning, but indirect meaning, don't they?

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They mean that Epstein's books were well received by those audiences. Think of it as triggering an emotional response or "resonating" with the audience.

"Sacrilegious" here means to go against the thoughts and beliefs they hold dear. It's not "religion" per se, but it is their professional "religion."

Status
Not open for further replies.