• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

for the blip

Crises, political and financial, can be seen for the blips on the path of progress that they usually are.

I understand blip means a temporary change of things, but what do "for the blips" and "that they usually are" mean in the above sentence?

Thanks!

JY

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

re: for the blip

The belief here is that progress is always happening and is inevitable.

Crises are recognized as being only blips. Only temporary setbacks in the path of progress.

Crises usually are only blips in the path of progress.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

re: for the blip

I think the difficulty may be with the expression 'see <something> + for + <something-else>'. When you do this, you see something and then realize (rightly or wrongly) that it is really something else. Example: After 10 years of what she had thought was a happy and succesful marriage, she saw her husband for the smooth-talking deceitful b*@!@rd that he really was.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Re: for the blip

Thanks!

Thats the sentence structure I did not understand. By the way, I found the Cambridge Online Dictionary is no good, it defines blip as a temporary change that does not have any special meaning (blip noun - definition in British English Dictionary & Thesaurus - Cambridge Dictionary Online). The Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, on the other hand, defines the word as a temporary problem which I think is a better definition. That makes me no longer be able to trust that Cambridge Dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    I think the difficulty may be with the expression 'see <something> + for + <something-else>'. When you do this, you see something and then realize (rightly or wrongly) that it is really something else. Example: After 10 years of what she had thought was a happy and succesful marriage, she saw her husband for the smooth-talking deceitful b*@!@rd that he really was.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: for the blip

Quote Originally Posted by Jiayun View Post
    Thanks!

Thats the sentence structure I did not understand. By the way, I found the Cambridge Online Dictionary is no good, it defines blip as a temporary change that does not have any special meaning (blip noun - definition in British English Dictionary & Thesaurus - Cambridge Dictionary Online). The Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, on the other hand, defines the word as a temporary problem which I think is a better definition. That makes me no longer be able to trust that Cambridge Dictionary.
    The Cambridge definition is going back to a stricter meaning. A scientist will take readings in an experiment, and plot them on a graph. Most of them tell one 'story' (say, a straight line or a curve) and measurements that do not fit in that line can be dismissed as 'blips'.

OALDCE's definition is a better fit for the context you are dealing with.

b