Any word to refer to a person we travel with, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,

I was wondering if there's any noun used to refer to a person we've been on a trip with. A stranger we had the chance to be with and exchange a few words perhaps. (I thought maybe just like the words 'classmate', 'flatmate', etc. there must be word for it, not with the same structure though.)

Thanks.

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Travelling companion.

Informally, trip-mate.

Slightly old-fashioned is fellow traveller.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

I was wondering if there's any noun used to refer to a person we've been on a trip with. A stranger we had the chance to be with and exchange a few words perhaps. (I thought maybe just like the words 'classmate', 'flatmate', etc. there must be word for it, not with the same structure though.)

Thanks.

A person we've been on a trip with is completely different to a stranger we had the chance to be with and exchange a few words with.

Travelling companion is an ideal phrase for the former but there is no standard phrase for a complete stranger you happened to converse with briefly.
I've also seen "travel buddy" used when people advertise for someone to share a holiday with them.

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think "fellow traveller" carries the connotation of instant acquaintance rather well.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think "fellow traveller" carries the connotation of instant acquaintance rather well.

I could share a dorm at a hostel with 25 "fellow travellers". There is no way to tell from the phrase whether I spoke to any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.