• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

make jasmine lemonade

as a wise man might once have suggested, when the world gives you jasmine-scented lemons, make jasmine lemonade?

I am not sure why question mark is used in the above sentence and who make jasmine lemonade. Could anyone explain?

Thanks!

JY

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: make jasmine lemonade

Quote Originally Posted by Jiayun View Post
    As a wise man might once have suggested, when the world gives you jasmine-scented lemons, make jasmine lemonade?

I am not sure why question mark is used in the above sentence and who make jasmine lemonade. Could anyone explain?

Thanks!

JY
    There is a phrase "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade". "Lemons" here means bad situations or difficult challenges. It means that when you experience something bad or difficult in life, try to make something nice out of it.

I don't know why the text you quoted has changed it to jasmine-scented lemons etc. I can only assume that the culture of the writer has something to do with jasmine.

The question mark is rather odd. My only guess is that the writer was trying to say "When the world gives you jasmine-scented lemons, why not make jasmine lemonade?" It's a suggestion worded as a question. However, the original text really doesn't need a question mark.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    There is a phrase "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade". "Lemons" here means bad situations or difficult challenges. It means that when you experience something bad or difficult in life, try to make something nice out of it.

I don't know why the text you quoted has changed it to jasmine-scented lemons etc. I can only assume that the culture of the writer has something to do with jasmine.

The question mark is rather odd. My only guess is that the writer was trying to say "When the world gives you jasmine-scented lemons, why not make jasmine lemonade?" It's a suggestion worded as a question. However, the original text really doesn't need a question mark.
    Can we assume that 'jasmine-scented lemons' in Hong Kong are comparable to 'bad situations or difficult challenges'? If not, the comparison to our lemon metaphor is completely different.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    Can we assume that 'jasmine-scented lemons' in Hong Kong are comparable to 'bad situations or difficult challenges'? If not, the comparison to our lemon metaphor is completely different.
    My immediate reaction would be to say that jasmine-scented lemons sound quite nice and I wouldn't necessarily associate them with anything bad, difficult or challenging. But the metaphor is the only one I know including lemons and lemonade. I think only someone from Hong Kong would be able to tell us if "jasmine-scented lemons" is a common phrase!
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    My immediate reaction would be to say that jasmine-scented lemons sound quite nice and I wouldn't necessarily associate them with anything bad, difficult or challenging. But the metaphor is the only one I know including lemons and lemonade. I think only someone from Hong Kong would be able to tell us if "jasmine-scented lemons" is a common phrase!
    emsr2d, I agree that "jasmine-scented lemons" sounds marvelous!

So, I guess the best advice in Hong kong might be: "When life gives you jasmine-scented lemons, make jasmineade".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

"When life gives you jasmine-scented lemons, make jasmineade".
    Oh, I don't want to know anymore the main ingredient for Gatorade!
    Please be aware that I'm neither a native English speaker nor a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by charliedeut View Post
    Oh, I don't want to know anymore the main ingredient for Gatorade!
    Of course, the main ingredient for Gatorade has to be alligators!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Of course, the main ingredient for Gatorade has to be alligators!
    That would be preferable to the carcinogenic food colouring, no less than three forms of sugar (fructose, glucose and refined sugar), and the always delightful "high fructose corn syrup" which it's actually made of. Give me a glass of water any day!