• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Question "some" or "some of"?

Thirty students joined the graduation trip. Some had a good time; the others considered it boring.
    Thirty students joined the graduation trip. Some of them had a good time; the others considered it boring.

In the sentences above, is "some" or "some of them" the better writing style?
    In a teacher's manual, it says when there is "a group" in the context, use "some of ~". Is it really necessary to use "of" to further define the range of the meaning? Is "some" alone better enough to convey the meaning?

If we put "some" and "some of them" both in the options in a multiple choice question, is it proper or not?
    Thirty students joined the graduation trip. __________ had a good time; the others considered it boring.

(A) Some (B) Others (C) Some of them (D) Another

Thank you for your reply.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: "some" or "some of"?

I think there is no difference in meaning and would consider it an unfair test question.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by simile View Post
    Thirty students joined the graduation trip. Some had a good time; the others considered it boring.
    Thirty students joined the graduation trip. Some of them had a good time; the others considered it boring.

In the sentences above, is "some" or "some of them" the better writing style?
    In a teacher's manual, it says when there is "a group" in the context, use "some of ~". Is it really necessary to use "of" to further define the range of the meaning? Is "some" alone better enough to convey the meaning?

If we put "some" and "some of them" both in the options in a multiple choice question, is it proper or not?
    Thirty students joined the graduation trip. __________ had a good time; the others considered it boring.

(A) Some (B) Others (C) Some of them (D) Another

Thank you for your reply.
    I agree with Barb that it's an unfair question. However, I am going to have a stab at defending "Some of them" as the answer they are looking for.

The second half of that sentence is "the others considered it boring". In my opinion, only "some of them" sounds right before the specific "the others". Had there been no definite article, I would have said that "some" and "others" go together well. So to be clear, I would say that these are the two possible constructions:

1) Some of them had a good time; the others considered it boring.
    2) Some had a good time; others considered it boring.

I can't back it up with anything other than a gut feeling and the fact that one sounds more natural to me.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I agree with your gut.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.