• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

when

I considered going back to singing in restaurants to make up for my diability pension.

When I told the owner of the shop about my idea, he gave me a long and thoughtful look. "This means a lot to you, doesn't it?" he said. "Come with me."

He led me through the crowded shop and to a bench with a large professional karaoke box on it. He placed his large hand lovingly on his treasue and said, "I have 800 karaoke songs in here. You can take your pick and I'll record them for you. That should get you started."

I could have cried. Thanking him, I made a time with him to listen to all the songs and choose the ones that I could sing. I have come full circle with his help.

His kindness still warms my heart and makes me do just that bit extra, when I have the chance.

Can any teacher help me paraphrase this underlined sentence?

Thanks a lot!

Jason

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: when

When I think of his kindness, I make sure I do more than the minimum I'm required to do when the opportunity presents itself.

I believe he/she means "for his/her fellow human beings" and not on the job, but maybe it is a reference to giving singing performances. If someone was willing to help him (I'll stick with him instead of him/her), then he had an obligation to always do his best.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

So "that bit extra" doesn't refer to a past event, but means he will always go the extra mile to perform better. Am I right?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

To perform better or just to be a nicer person. But yes, it's definintely NOT a past event.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Hi Jason,

When I started reading the post I thought you were speaking about yourself! I think it would have been a good idea to include the text between quotes or inverted commas, since you were reproducing a fragment from a larger text.

charliedeut
    Please be aware that I'm neither a native English speaker nor a teacher.