Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Netherlands
'I wasn't tall enough to reach the shelf.' (taller)
The answer is: 'If I had been taller, I'd reach the shelf.' I don't understand why it is incorrect to say - 'If I were taller, I'd have reached the shelf.'

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
'I wasn't tall enough to reach the shelf.' (taller)
The answer is: 'If I had been taller, I'd reach the shelf.' I don't understand why it is incorrect to say - 'If I were taller, I'd have reached the shelf.'

'If I had been taller, I'd reach the shelf.' This is incorrect. 'I wasn't tall enough to reach the shelf.' this sentence is in the past tense.
These are possible: 'If I had been taller, I'd have reached/I could have reached/I would have been able to reach the shelf". "If I were" is conditional present "were" is subjunctive.It doesn't fit with "I'd have reached".

tom3m

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"If I were" is conditional present "were" is subjunctive.It doesn't fit with "I'd have reached".

I do not understand it. Can you please explain to me, why we cannot say 'If I were taller, I'd have reached the shelf.' considering it a mixed conditional with an explanation like this: I am not taller and that is why I was not able to reach the shelf.
Thank you
:)

barnej0096

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Netherlands
I don't understand it either.