Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hello from Spain

First k congratulations for your amazing web site. I'm sure I will use it a lot in the future.

My question is that I register a domain name which is CLAPTIME.com for an app which rate user opinions in restaurants.

Someone say me that clap is a word which doesn't sounds very well in English. (American English) and I don't know what can I do with my amazing domain.

Whatdo you think about it?

Thank you in advance

Alejandro

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello from Spain

First k congratulations for your amazing web site. I'm sure I will use it a lot in the future.

My question is that I register a domain name which is CLAPTIME.com for an app which rate user opinions in restaurants.

Someone say me that clap is a word which doesn't sounds very well in English. (American English) and I don't know what can I do with my amazing domain.

Whatdo you think about it?

Thank you in advance

Alejandro

"Claptime" seems an odd name for a site about restaurants. Why do you want to use it?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
People do "clap" or "applaud" at performances. To use it for restaurants does seem a bit odd.

"Clap" is also a slang for a sexual disease. "She gave me the clap."

Acercandro

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi again and sorry for not explain what is the origin of the word

Claptime is an app running in Apple or android devices and is for rating a service in a restaurant or any other kind of shop. And consists in the waiter gives an iPod or tablet to the customer when the service is finished. The customer must click in the icon for rate from 1 to 10 the quality of the service received.

Claptime is not the name of the restaurant, is the name of the app.

I knew about the meaning of clap about sexual disease, and this is my problem. I dont know if English people will understand CLAP followed with TIME as a applause or about sexual disease.

thank you soothingdave and bhaisahab for your quick answer

Here I am for any problem in Spanish language. ;)

Acercandro

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

Claptime is an app running in Apple or android devices and is for rating a service in a restaurant or any other kind of shop. And consists in the waiter gives an iPod or tablet to the customer when the service is finished. The customer must click in the icon for rate from 1 to 10 the quality of the service received.

I knew about the meaning of clap about sexual disease, and this is my problem. I dont know if English people will understand CLAP followed with TIME as a applause or about sexual disease.

Acercandro

I think it's a very poor name for the application. I would be very surprised if it was named by a native English speaker.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Acercandro

bhaisahab didn't say he thought it was an odd name for a restaurant, he said he thought it was an odd name for a site about restaurants. I must admit I have the same feeling about it being the name for an app to be used with/at restaurants.

I don't necessarily associate "clap" with a sexually transmitted disease (although the word is used for that here too), but I also don't associate applause with restaurants. I assume it won't matter to the diners what the app is called but if you're trying to sell it to restaurant managers, they will need to like the name. I don't know if it has to be 8 letters but I suggest you find a combination of words that have something to do with food (chow, food, nosh) and a word that has something to do with scoring (mark, test, rate) etc and maybe put them together.

Acercandro

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Thank you very much. Im going to change my app's name. And sorry for my English language.
A:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is no reason to be sorry. It's a good thing you asked before you tried to sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.