• Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

To or For?

Right, opinions please, which one makes more sense:

"Fuelling your addiction to alternative fashion"

"Fuelling your addiction for alternative fashion"

Please explain why it is as well, thank you :)

2. Senior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: To or For?

NOT A TEACHER

addiction TO

I do not think I can explain. I would take it as a rule and memorize it. To me it seems as a piece of factual information rather than a matter of a pattern that is feasible to learn and that you are probably expecting.

Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Netherlands

addiction - Definition from Longman English Dictionary Online

According to Longman it's "to".

Ben Alan, I have looked at your profile, and I have to say that your biography rubbed me the wrong way. I think it's highly inappropiate to use such language in your profile description. You wrote, 'AuburnYeah, I'm f*****g English, I drink tea, I eat buttered crumpets and talk with a posh whiny accent' and 'F**k you America!!!' The asterisks are mine since you didn't bother to conceal this highly inappropriate language.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Alan's profile
    Biography:
    I love everything: Tattoos, Piercings, T-shits, skinnys, Balloons, Alcohol, Ciggs, gigs, rainy days, tea, white lies, sand, eye liner, oriental star gazer lilies, beating hearts, anime, Japan and so much more ^.^I'm studying to be a teacher, what can I say, I'm a gluten for punishment! It's been my life long ambition (since I was 10) to teach English in Japan, I love the culture, such respect. And I love SUSHI!!!I love late nights, which is kind of a problem because I love my sleep too XDI miss my hometown, the big L, I miss the museums, the scenery and CAMDEN =[ One day I'll move back . . .BioName: Benjamin Alan Leonard Sidney CooperD.O.B: 17/09/91Height: 6ftWeight: 10.5 StoneEye Colour: Hazel GreenHair Colour: AuburnYeah, I'm f*****g English, I drink tea, I eat buttered crumpets and talk with a posh whiny accent -.- any more stereo types . . . oh yeah, I'm proud that we, the British produced Susan Boyle ;)F**k you America!!! How dare you create an amazing show that captured my geeky heart, and then decide to cancel it, rest in peace Eureka :c I really need a cup of tea . . . bye beautiful people <3
    Last edited by Chicken Sandwich; 31-Aug-2012 at 22:48.

4. Moderator
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

I agree with you, CS.

The forum has a number of highly qualified contributors of many nationalities, Ben Adam.

You would be well advised to show proper respect to those whose opinions you are seeking.

Rover

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

That seems like a very ill-advised profile statement, not least because if you're going to teach English, you should know the difference between "gluten" and "glutton".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.