• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

how to say that?

I have been a bit overactive today but I can't help asking another question. How to express with irony that you pursue some goal which has the quality of receding as you approach it so you can never achieve it? I want to say that I have been pursuing (here comes an adjective in question) "a goal of mastering my english" or "mastery in english" for several years.

Thank you for all patient answers to my posts!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Smile Re: how to say that?

Quote Originally Posted by magdalena
    I have been a bit overactive today but I can't help asking another question. How to express with irony that you pursue some goal which has the quality of receding as you approach it so you can never achieve it? I want to say that I have been pursuing (here comes an adjective in question) "a goal of mastering my english" or "mastery in english" for several years.

Thank you for all patient answers to my posts!
    Hello magdalena!
    Post as often as you like! We all learn from questions. . . even we native speakers, as some questions drive us right back into our own grammar references!

I believe the adjective "elusive" fulfills your need here. When something eludes you, it escapes your understanding as per the American Heritage Dictionary, 2nd college edition, 1991.

So, you could say, "I have been pursuing the seemingly elusive goal of mastering the English language. . ."

How does that work for you?

Smiles,
    Sweet Momma Sue

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Re: how to say that?

It suits me perfectly, Thank you!