• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Afternoon tea

I would like to know the custom of afternoon tea in Britain. Do office workers have afternoon tea in their small office pantry, or usually do they go out. Are they customarily allowed to have certain free time to do so if they work from 9am to 5pm? Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Afternoon tea

Quote Originally Posted by LiuJing View Post
    I would like to know the custom of afternoon tea in Britain. Do office workers have afternoon tea in their small office pantry, or usually do they go out. Are they customarily allowed to have certain free time to do so if they work from 9am to 5pm? Thank you.
    What a beautifully quaint idea! That may have been the case in Victorian times but "afternoon tea" these days is something only rich, posh people without jobs have. Occasionally, we go out for afternoon tea as a birthday treat with friends.

Some businesses might have a "tea break" or "coffee break" in the afternoon, sometime between lunchtime and closing time but there is no law saying this has to happen. In the UK, the employment laws state that all employees must have a break every 5 hours and that break only has to be 15 minutes in duration. I'm sure there are some companies, perhaps offices but not shops, where it's possible for everyone to stop work for 15 minutes in the afternoon but it's probably very rare. Most people who work from 9am to 5pm have a lunch break at about 12.30 to 1pm and that's it.

In my part-time job at a shop I start work at 8.45am, I have lunch from 12.45pm to 1.45pm and I finish work at 6.30pm. I do not get any other breaks.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    What a beautifully quaint idea! That may have been the case in Victorian times but "afternoon tea" these days is something only rich, posh people without jobs have. Occasionally, we go out for afternoon tea as a birthday treat with friends.

Some businesses might have a "tea break" or "coffee break" in the afternoon, sometime between lunchtime and closing time but there is no law saying this has to happen. In the UK, the employment laws state that all employees must have a break every 5 hours and that break only has to be 15 minutes in duration. I'm sure there are some companies, perhaps offices but not shops, where it's possible for everyone to stop work for 15 minutes in the afternoon but it's probably very rare. Most people who work from 9am to 5pm have a lunch break at about 12.30 to 1pm and that's it.

In my part-time job at a shop I start work at 8.45am, I have lunch from 12.45pm to 1.45pm and I finish work at 6.30pm. I do not get any other breaks.
    You are exploited. I work part time in a shop as well and I get 15 minutes in the morning, an hour for lunch, and 15 minutes in the afternoon.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    You are exploited. I work part time in a shop as well and I get 15 minutes in the morning, an hour for lunch, and 15 minutes in the afternoon.
    Lucky you!! I can only assume that there is more than one person working at a time in your shop. In mine, that is rarely the case. Frequently, I open the shop and then the manager or another part-time member of staff, comes in at 12.45 so that I can go for lunch, then when I come back from lunch, he goes home again and I work the rest of the day alone. None of our part-time staff get a tea break. The manager has worked our hours out very carefully so that we never work more than 5 hours straight without a break but it usually is the full 5 hours.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.