Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
Could you please tell me what 'coppers' nark' mean exactly, and if it could be used in everyday English as a common expression?

(I suppose it's got sth to do with 'shopping Sb' and 'telling on Sb perhaps?!)

Cheers!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Did you try Googling the phrase before taking the time to post a question here? That would have been much faster. I Googled it for you - here are the results.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks dear emsr2d2. Actually I did, but the problem is they would mostly give you the fixed definition while at the moment I came across the expression I asked myself if it was commonly used in contexts other than those related to police stuff (such as the time when a friend tells on a person and consequently be addressed as 'coppers' nark' (?!)

Cheers!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No, we wouldn't use it to refer to anybody other than a police informant. That's why the word "copper's" is in the phrase. "Copper" is a very informal/slang term for a police officer. I wouldn't recommend using it with anyone these days. There are worse words used for police officers but in the UK, the police officers I know (although they don't mind referring to each other as coppers) dislike it when people outside the police force use it.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: Also, 'copper's nark' is rather dated. In American TV dramas they often use 'CI' (Confidential Informant).

b

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Now I think it's mainly used for police informants. Though in the episode I was watching it was just used to refer to a friend who'd told someone something he shouldn't have.

Thanks a lot for the reply. :)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"CI" is police-talk. To the one's being informed on the person is a narc. (Note, the root is from "narcotics.")

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

In the US, 'narc' also refers to a drug enforcement officer, particularly an undercover one.
But like the others said, it could also be an informant, usually involved with illegal substances.

Status
Not open for further replies.