Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
UK
Hello all,

In my text I want to write "An AAA protocol will be used to offer authentication, authorization and accounting".

Should I say "An AAA" because it starts with a vowel or "A AAA" because someone will read it as "a triple A protocol" ?

I have also been told that you use "an" before an abbreviation regardless of the starting letter... is that true?

Thanks a lot!

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Hello all,

In my text I want to write "An AAA protocol will be used to offer authentication, authorization and accounting".

Should I say "An AAA" because it starts with a vowel or "A AAA" because someone will read it as "a triple A protocol" ?

I have also been told that you use "an" before an abbreviation regardless of the starting letter... is that true? No.

Thanks a lot!

In the first sentence, you should use the article "an" because it is followed by a vowel sound. If you say that a bond has an AAA rating, it may very well be read as "an AAA rating" or a "triple A" rating." As for what you've been told about using "an" before any abbreviation, that is not correct. "He has a PhD from Yale."

BTW, your title should read "Article with abbreviation."

panosgr

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
UK
Thank you so very much!

So "An AAA protocol" it is :)

ps. sorry about the title...you are right...

Status
Not open for further replies.