[Grammar] sitting in front of the TV all day vs. sitting all day in front of the TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
When I started learning English, one of the very first things I was taught was a rule saying that in a sentence, the time adverbial comes after the adverbial of place. That is, the first sentence below should be somehow more correct that the second. How do you feel about it? Which one is correct, which one would you be the most likely to say? To me, they're both the same and both equally correct.

1. You've been sitting in front of the TV (place adverbial) all day (time adverbial).
  2. You've been sitting all day in front of the TV.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
When I started learning English, one of the very first things I was taught was a rule saying that in a sentence, the time adverbial comes after the adverbial of place. That is, the first sentence below should be somehow more correct that the second. How do you feel about it? Which one is correct, which one would you be the most likely to say? To me, they're both the same and both equally correct.

1. You've been sitting in front of the TV (place adverbial) all day (time adverbial).
  2. You've been sitting all day in front of the TV.

#1 is the most natural. It's what I would say.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type