Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Would anyone be kind enough to check the paragraph for me? Thanks for your help.

One day, three children went mountain climbing together. They had to walk for a long time to arrive at their destination. As they took a momentary break on the way, the boy in a blue and white shirt saw three strange disc-shaped flying objects with flickering light flying high up in the sky. He pointed at them and said in a shrill voice, “Look, everybody! They are UFOs.” They were absorbed in watching the UFOs. Then, the boy took out his camera from his green bag quickly and wanted to take pictures of the UFOs. In a very short while, the UFOs disappeared into the sky. The three children were all disappointed.

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
One day, three children went mountain climbing together. They had to walk for a long time to arrive at their destination. As they took a momentary break on the way, the boy in a blue-and-white shirt saw three strange disc-shaped flying objects with flickering lights flying high up in the sky. (The hyphens might be option in this phrase but I'll have to check, but for now I erred on the safe side.) He pointed at them and said in a shrill voice, “Look, everybody! [STRIKE]They are[/STRIKE]They're UFOs[STRIKE].[/STRIKE]!” (See your other thread for a response to the "shrill-voice" phrase. Also, you could change "They're" to "Those are" if you like. "They are" sounds overly formal to me given the context.) They were absorbed in watching the UFOs. Then, the boy quickly took out his camera from his green bag [STRIKE]quickly [/STRIKE]and [STRIKE]wanted to take[/STRIKE] pictures of the UFOs. (If he tried to take pictures but was unable to, then say "tried to take" and explain the reason for the failure later in the sentence or in a new sentence after this one. If you mean that he began taking pictures, then say "began taking.") In a very short while, the UFOs disappeared into the sky. (Your introductory phrase is correct but for my taste I'd probably say, "Shortly thereafter." That comes down to personal preference though.) The three children were all disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.