I Want To Improve My English!

HELLO,
    I'm Ken.I'm 18 years old and am a Hong Kongers.
    Recently,I've found that my sentence in my composition is a bit boring that it's always basic sentence structure.
    I want to improve it and learn how to write a sentence such as "On no account should you take more than your doctor has prescribed."
    Actually , i really don't know why "should" is placed before "you"...
    When I read newspaper,I find that there are so many sentances like that (e.g. terrible though it is,...).I really want to learn about it because i just write the one like"I am a boy.","I beat him."...
    Also,I would like to know more about collocation and when i can omit the words to make the sentance look different.
    what can I do and where can I find more about that?
    Thank you !

Re: I Want To Improve My English!

Well, as you have pointed out yourself already; Reading newspapers and books is a very good way to improve your English. You shall be amazed if you oblige yourself to reading on a regular base. A teacher of mine advised us (the class) to do that as well and she is right (the teacher is always right) At first hand I thought, that it wouldn't serve me that well but eventually you develop a better feeling towards the language. It is not only vocabulary but also word order, correct use of the prepositions, tenses ... the whole lot I should give it a try if I were you

Kind Regards

In fact, I have read newspaper and books .But sometimes I can't find out the meaning of some phrasal verbs(?) suck as (as is) and i misunderstand when the words are omitted.
    I want to find more about it.
    Thank you for your suggestion,Johan[@CLT]

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Can Anyone Answer Me?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

The only way you can do the writing things is to practise them. The example you give is of inversion, which is something we do when certain phrases are placed at the beginning of a sentence. The reason for this is that it changes the emphasis and can ake something sound stronger. If you want to practise it, go to the quizzes section, where there are plenty of examples of this.