Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
If you like Impressionist art, you should / have to visit the Musée d'Orsay in Paris.

According to the author of Common Mistakes at Proficiency the correct verb is should, but do you agree with this? My opinion is that "have to" is possible if you want to emphasise the idea that if you REALLY like Impressionist art, you REALLY have to visit the Musée d'Orsay. I think that I have heard similar things, but I'm in doubt now.

Thank you in advance.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
I agree with your comment. I see should as a recommendation, a good idea, while have to gives more urgency to the suggestion.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I agree with Chicken Sandwich and riquecohen. Remarks such as that reported by CS annoy me. It may be that a careful analysis of corpora would show that 'should' is more likely in one or more varieties of English than, for example, 'have to' or 'must' or 'ought to'. Even if that is so, it is still no justification for baldly asserting that 'should' is the correct verb.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Even if that is so, it is still no justification for baldly asserting that 'should' is the correct verb.

Well, to be 100% accurate, the exercise was:

Tick the correct sentence in each pair.

a. If you like Impressionist art, you should visit the Musée d'Orsay in Paris.
b. If you like Impressionist art, you have to visit the Musée d'Orsay in Paris.

The only reasonable answer, as confirmed by both of your responses, is both, but there is a difference in meaning. However, the answer simply states that only a is correct. No further explanation or clarification is given in the answer key.

It's indeed annoying, especially because this book was published by Cambridge University Press, the same university that is responsible for the CPE exams!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Of the two, a is the expected answer.

Obviously, I don't "have to" visit anywhere, and if I can't afford to go to Paris to see the museum, I can still like that style of art work.

If some guide on using English said "you can never say 'have to' to make a strongly felt recommendation" that would be wrong, but on a test, "should" is clearly the correct answer.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Of the two, a is the expected answer.

I agree with you, and I also chose A. My only problem with the way this question is posed is that it implies that B is incorrect because it specifically asks to tick the correct answer in each pair. If A is correct, then it follows that B is incorrect, and that isn't true. B is the less expected answer, as you've said, but it isn't incorrect.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's better if you think of tests like that as asking which answer is the "most appropriate" instead of "the only possible" answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.