Results 1 to 5 of 5
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Dec 2006
    • Posts: 1,894
    #1

    for the week

    I don't get a lot of exercise for the week.
    What does for the week mean? Does it mean this week?

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,829
    #2

    Re: for the week

    Quote Originally Posted by sitifan View Post
    I don't get a lot of exercise for the week.
    What does for the week mean? Does it mean this week?
    That's a very unnatural sentence. I can only assume it is supposed to mean "I don't get a lot of exercise each week" but it doesn't actually make sense.

    I've finished work for the week = I do not have to do any more work this week.
    He has finished college for the year = It is the end of the college year and he will not return to college until the start of the next academic year.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  2. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,835
    #3

    Re: for the week

    Quote Originally Posted by sitifan View Post
    I don't get a lot of exercise for the week.
    What does for the week mean? Does it mean this week?
    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    That's a very unnatural sentence. I can only assume it is supposed to mean "I don't get a lot of exercise each week" but it doesn't actually make sense.

    I've finished work for the week = I do not have to do any more work this week.
    He has finished college for the year = It is the end of the college year and he will not return to college until the start of the next academic year.
    Sitifan, what is the source for your sentence? emsr2d2 is correct; your sentence is unnatural.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Dec 2006
    • Posts: 1,894
    #4

    Re: for the week

    Sorry, I made a typo.
    I don't get a lot of exercise during the week.
    What does during the week mean? Does it mean this week?

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,609
    #5

    Re: for the week

    Quote Originally Posted by sitifan View Post
    Sorry, I made a typo.
    I don't get a lot of exercise during the week.
    What does during the week mean? Does it mean this week?
    I would take it to mean "on weekdays" that is to say Monday to Friday.

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] available in week 25
    By Will17 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-Mar-2012, 08:28
  2. The week that was
    By Murashik in forum English Slang
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Jun-2011, 15:33
  3. [Grammar] on the week 19
    By Will17 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 20-Apr-2011, 08:47
  4. [Grammar] What's on TV... next week?
    By Vanille in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Feb-2010, 10:42
  5. once a week ???
    By ph2004 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Nov-2009, 09:59

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •