stamp him or her into a mold of conformity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What does this "stamp" mean here?

mo3-25
ex)At some point, these days, a parent realizes his or her child is tending left. The parent panics. Will the child be made fun of? Struggle with writing? Be left out? In the past, the parent would have done everything possible to exorcise the tendency. Today, more and more parents shrug their shoulders, saying it’s okay, maybe even something special.
Or their attempts to discourage it are milder. This is not an isolated reaction. It’s part of the larger trend toward
. From giving children extra time to develop into kindergarteners to accommodating their vegetarian appetites, parents today are taking their cues from children, rather than the other way around. Left-handedness is just the tip of the iceberg ― in today’s world, parenting is about letting your child develop into his or her own person, not about trying to stamp him or her into a mold of conformity.

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(not a teacher)

I reckon it's being used in the sense of 'to stomp' (figuratively, of course).
At any rate, it's just meant to convey the idea of forcibly making a child conform.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can't believe people still find something "wrong" about being left-handed. When I read the first sentence, I thought conservative parents were upset that their children were straying toward the liberal side of politics!

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is an odd choice of words. To stamp into a mold of conformity. Maybe "model" was meant instead of "mold."

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

That would make a bit more sense

Status
Not open for further replies.