• Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Indonesia

one or the one ?

Dear teachers,

Which one more correct ?

Anyway, the spaceship I want is one that doesn't need huge rockets, but one( or the one ) that has enough power and technology to transport me to outer space and bring me back to Earth safely without any problems.

Thanks

Have a nice weekend

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: one or the one ?

Quote Originally Posted by duiter View Post
    Dear teachers,

Which one more correct ?

Anyway, the spaceship I want is one that doesn't need huge rockets, but one( or the one ) that has enough power and technology to transport me to outer space and bring me back to Earth safely without any problems.
    I apologize for avoiding the question, but I would say "...huge rockets but has enough power..."

If you want to use your structure, the correct answer is "but one" (because that is parallel with "is one" earlier in the sentence). I wouldn't use that option, however, and recommend the first option because it is more concise and improves readability.
    SeriousScholar.com

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: one or the one ?

Quote Originally Posted by duiter View Post
    Dear teachers,

Which one more correct ?

Thanks

Have a nice weekend

In popular usage either would be OK, but technically, if a spaceship actually exists with the requirements indicated, then use "the". But if the statement is simply a general desire for a spaceship with those requirements, then no article.