Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I can't believe you're saying this after all the examples.

Don't you, yourself, get mad when someone tells you that you MAY put an "a" in front of "weather" or "furniture"? Where is the truth? I just gave you a link. You haven't succeeded in disproving that a noun like "passenger" can only be countable, have you? How many results with "too much dinosaur" or "too much schoolboy" did you get? Millions? Half a page.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Don't you, yourself, get mad when someone tells you that you MAY put an "a" in front of "weather" or "furniture"?

Honestly, no. The only person who sounds like they're getting mad in this thread is you.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Honestly, no. The only person who sounds like they're getting mad in this thread is you.

Because all along they've been telling you one thing and all of a sudden you catch them doing the opposite. In general, proper English is not spoken in many parts of England. There is this website where all those dialects can be heard. There is no way you can call that language acceptable.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I've got to go to work now. Instead of looking for nouns that can be both c. and unc., I expect you to find a bunch of nouns that are strictly c. (or vice versa). Let's do this for the sake of Truth.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Because all along they've been telling you one thing and all of a sudden you catch them doing the opposite. In general, proper English is not spoken in many parts of England. There is this website where all those dialects can be heard. There is no way you can call that language acceptable.

Hi,

From what I've read so long in this thread, I would say one thing has been proved: given the right context, you can find combinations like "a furniture" or "a music".

Then, there's the correctness issue. IMO, teaching English (or any other language, for that matter) implies showing your students the "correct" way to say things. But one must be aware that what is taught and what students will find in the real world/everyday life might differ. And I, for one, have commonly told my advanced students that they might hear "incorrect" but "accepted" versions of what I had just told them.

charliedeut

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands

So? I have heard educated native speakers say something like, "amount of + countable noun". In fact, I was watching Woody Allen: A Documentary the other day and in it, he said, 'The amount of movies that I saw right here, I mean, it was just astonishing.'

Bottom line: in informal conversations, native speakers do not always follow prescriptive grammar.

Does it bother me? No. It's completely beyond me why you would get mad over this. "Proper English" is an ideal that doesn't exist, or is at the very least very rare. I think that someone said this in this forum some time ago.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Don't you, yourself, get mad when someone tells you that you MAY put an "a" in front of "weather" or "furniture"? Where is the truth? I just gave you a link. You haven't succeeded in disproving that a noun like "passenger" can only be countable, have you? How many results with "too much dinosaur" or "too much schoolboy" did you get? Millions? Half a page.

I think I did succeed. The number of pages is not relevant. It's not difficult to produce a correct English sentence without any Google results. The pattern exists in the English language. If the results do not convince you, and why should they if you haven't noticed that some of them are from very well written texts, then the opinion of the native speakers here should. The existence of the pattern can also be convincingly explained. There is the underlying concept of dinosaur, schoolboy or passenger "substance" or "essence" in it. That is what justifies the uncountable usage.

And I definitely don't get mad because of this. It does happen to me that it's difficult for me to accept some usages, and I do refrain from using certain widely accepted constructions just because I don't like or don't understand them. But I find it hard to understand why anyone would get mad at language. Even though I know there are people who do.

Last edited:

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I've got to go to work now. Instead of looking for nouns that can be both c. and unc., I expect you to find a bunch of nouns that are strictly c. (or vice versa). Let's do this for the sake of Truth.

This is just arrogant. You expect us to find examples? Why don't you find them? I would like to see how you prove that a noun is strictly countable or strictly uncountable.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
I think I did succeed. The number of pages is not relevant.

I agree. You have done an excellent job and I have learnt a thing or two from your examples :-D. Asking for more examples is unfair. Logicians call this "moving the goalposts". Bennevis, you asked for an example of "passenger" used as an uncountable noun, BC has given you one.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I am coming back, but to make a slightly different point. I have chosen a few rules/words as examples of types.

1. Prescriptive Grammar

a. The man who you were talking to is my former boss.
b. The amount of movies that I saw right here was just astonishing.
'
c. I've seen less films than you.

By the rules of prescriptive grammar, these three sentences are 'incorrect'.

a. Who/whom. In British English, 'whom' is rarely heard in any but the most formal speech, and is not often seen in writing. I tell learners that they may wish to use 'whom' in formal writing, but that they should not bother about it in normal conversation. My personal view is that to insist on 'whom' would be to impose an artificial standard that few native speakers recognise. My job is to teach the English of today, not that of half a century or more ago.

b. Amount/number; less/few/ . Here there are clear differences for some native speakers, though many are not sure about them. I tell learners the difference, though also tell them that they may hear many native speakers use the 'wrong' form. I also tell them that very few native speakers will even notice if learners use the wrong form. It is not something I would waste a lot of time on.

2. Incorrect rules.

d. We never use 'will' in the if-clause of a conditional sentence.
e. 'Accommodation' is always uncountable.
f. Music' is always uncountable.

d. Will. This rule is simply wrong, and should not be given.
e. Accommodation. Until fairly recently, this word was almost always used uncountably in British English, and the plural form jarred. However, it is beginning to appear in the plural form. I recommend that my students use it as a non-countable noun, but tell them that some native speakers do not do so. I suspect that the countable usage will become more common.
c. Music. Some words, such as 'music' are almost always used non-countably and, in my opinion, learners should be told this. However, as we have seen, there are contexts it which they can be used countably. Such usage is not incorrect; it is merely rare. It is not for us to deny this.

I'll close with some words from Noah Webster's Rudiments of English Grammar (1790):

"Where are the rules of the language to be found?
In the language itſelf."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In general, proper English is not spoken in many parts of England. There is this website where all those dialects can be heard. There is no way you can call that language acceptable.

Something has just happened which has never happened to me on this forum before. I find myself actually offended by a post. I can assure you I am quite difficult to offend but I take exception to the part of your post which I have quoted above. As someone else said on the previous page "proper English" is an unreachable, impossible ideal and, in my opinion, there is no such thing. To tell people who speak their own language in their own regional dialect that the language they speak is unacceptable is ... unacceptable.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
To tell people who speak their own language in their own regional dialect that the language they speak is unacceptable is ... unacceptable.
...and absurd.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Something has just happened which has never happened to me on this forum before. I find myself actually offended by a post.

Yes, I have to admit that this thread is truly unique (another example of poor English :-D). Earlier, Bennevis played the ad hominem card against me, and even though a moderator deleted his message, I did manage to read it and I have to say that I was slightly taken aback by it. I don't want to open up a whole new can of worms, but I must say that I find it unacceptable when someone judges a person whom he doesn't even know.

I agree with you that it's unacceptable and absurd to tell people who speak English as their first language that their dialect is unacceptable. There is the dimension that whatever a native speaker says, is acceptable, simply because he or she said it. If a native speaker says something like,

'So you're telling me that some nouns are absolutely uncountable? Well, it don't matter to me'

or

'Ain't nobody gonna tell me what a countable noun is!'

then it is acceptable by definition. This is amplified by the frequency with which a particular "ungrammaticality" occurs, and isn't just a mistake they made unconsciously. Yes, these examples do not adhere to prescriptive grammar, but so what?

My view is that a teacher should tell his or her students that not everyone adheres to prescriptive grammar. In fact, one only needs to rent a movie to discover this fact. Imagine if all movies were written with prescriptive grammar in mind? A gangster movie in which the characters speak English like you read about it the "Guide to Proper English"? No way, Goodfellas would been a terrible movie!

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And the simply message to students is "In exams (and perhaps situations like job interviews), stick to the prescriptive grammar from textbooks. In real life, as long as it's understandable, it really doesn't matter." The longer someone lives in an English-speaking country, the more they will realise that almost no-one speaks the English from textbooks.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
'So you're telling me that some nouns are absolutely uncountable? Well, it don't matter to me'

or

'Ain't nobody gonna tell me what a countable noun is!'

then it is acceptable by definition.
I would weaken this slightly. These sentences can be unacceptable to some in some situations. I don't think this is a black-and-white matter. But that's exactly why I think what Bennevis said was absurd. His statement was unqualified and unquantified. Just unacceptable -- no modifiers. That's impossible to defend.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Earlier, Bennevis played the ad hominem card against me.

Well, it was you who started it. Go back and see it for yourself. I did not start it. Your tone seemed vitriolic to me and I retorted.

All I'm trying to do in this thread is ascertain whether there are nouns that can be only countable. A line should be drawn somewhere. You wanted me to prove that strictly countable nouns exist. And I'll tell you again - there are hundreds of thousands of them. I told you above - take a car, open the hood and look at the parts of the engine. Each of those nouns is STRICTLY countable.

All I'm getting from you and the other guy is absolutely groundless structures that no normal speakers would use in real life. You've provided some examples that technically do the trick, but you simply cannot cope with the flood of nouns that are strictly countable. I wish I had a couple of supporters here to tell you where to get off, but for some reason it seems there is only one - the OP.

Believe I'm not disputing for sake of disputing like you and the others have been doing throughout this thread. I just want an answer to the question 'Are there strictly countable or strictly uncountable nouns?'

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I have closed this thread. It is serving no useful purpose and is generating bad feeling.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank you for letting me post, bhai.

I just wanted to add the phrase "a kind of X", where "X" is a noun that's usually countable, as in "a kind of bird" or "a kind of cup". I think it's obviously very common, and I don't see any bounds to what the X could be. I'm not saying there aren't any of course. And it's a construction that makes "countable" nouns uncountable.

Status
Not open for further replies.