Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Find one on "a music".

This thread is becoming more likely to be continued int the "Fun And Games" section - as a quiz for unlikely, yet possible, collocations. ;-)

charliedeut

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
This totally contradicts what textbooks have been telling us for many years. I'm sure many people would be surprised to see this kind of usage.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Find one on "a music".
It's really the essence of Portugal, a music that captures the rhythm and cadence of the ocean waves. That's the first COCA example I found. There are plenty more.

You really don't get the point, do you?

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
This totally contradicts what textbooks have been telling us for many years. I'm sure many people would be surprised to see this kind of usage.

I'm sure many would be. But not native speakers.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
This thread is becoming more likely to be continued int the "Fun And Games" section - as a quiz for unlikely, yet possible, collocations. ;-)

charliedeut
I did think about starting a thread there, but I thought it would end up having just one participant. ;-)

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
It's really sad to see English being mangled. It's probably the most marred language in history. I will never tell anyone I'll teach that it's possible to say "a money" or "a furniture". I'll stick to the rules set out by prominent native authors and followed by tens of millions of people all over the world.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
It's really sad to see English being mangled. It's probably the most marred language in history. I will never tell anyone I'll teach that it's possible to say "a money" or "a furniture". I'll stick to the rules set out by prominent native authors and followed by tens of millions of people all over the world.

Whatever. It's not a big problem in my opinion because a student can easily get by without ever saying "a money" or "a furniture". They might not ever hear or read that either. Still, your position is untenable.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Talk to Roger Woodham to see what he thinks.

Alexandre from Brazil writes:

I have some doubts about uncountable nouns. Music is uncountable, so it is wrong if you use a before music. What is the correct form to use? Is it possible to use a before an adjective with an uncountable noun?

• I have a beautiful music to show you.
Roger Woodham (http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learnitv283.shtml) replies:
You're quite right, Alexandre. Music is an uncountable or mass noun so we cannot say a music or even a beautiful music. Instead we have to use some or any or, if we want to refer to a single piece of music, we must use a partitive construction such as a piece of:

• I'm going to play you some music by Chopin.

• Have you heard this piece of music that he composed in 1826?

• I don't think I've ever heard any music by Chopin.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Bennevis, this is becoming unreasonable. We have demonstrated that "a music" is fine, meaning "a type of music". If someone else thinks that it's wrong, what does that show us? It only show us that Roger Woodham thinks that it's wrong. Roger Woodham does not speak for all native speakers out there.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Roger Woodham (http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learnitv283.shtml) replies:
You're quite right, Alexandre. Music is an uncountable or mass noun so we cannot say a music or even a beautiful music
Unfortunately for Mr Woodham, people can, and do, say and write 'a music'. The contexts in which they do so may be quite rare, but they are natural enough.

If students of mine came up with such an example, I would point out that it is rare. I would probably warn them that they are unlikely ever to come up with another convincing example of their own, and tell them that, for practical purposes it is pretty safe to take it that 'music' is almost always used uncountably. But, I would not tell them that to use 'music' countably is always automatically wrong. Because it's not.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Native speakers make mistakes too. "You must've wrote". I can recall the "he's been gone since Monday" phrase that was absolutely smashed by the same native speakers that are so ardently "liking" every single post that the non-native speakers put up.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Let's try your favorite "a weather". And if this one is not absolutely uncountable, then I'll personally write a letter to that language purification institution to ask them what's going on with English.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You must've wrote is not something that most native speakers would accept as standard.
It's really the essence of Portugal, a music that captures the rhythm and cadence of the ocean waves is something that most native speakers would accept as standard.

If you cannot accept that, Bennevis, there is no point in continuing. I am not going to close the thread, but I am leaving it.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Let's try your favorite "a weather". And if this one is not absolutely uncountable, then I'll personally write a letter to that language purification institution to ask them what's going on with English.

Davao City is typhoon-free. The city enjoys a weather that remains balmy all year round. It is characterized by a uniform distribution of rainfall, temperature, humidity, and air pressure. It has no pronounced wet or dry season.

Davao City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good luck with the letter!

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

OK. Is Herman Melville good enough? (1876)

Peers, peers--yes, needs that these must pair.
Clarel was young. In promise fine,
To him here first were brought together
Exceptional natures, of a weather
Strange as the tropics with strange trees,
Strange birds, strange fishes, skies and seas,
To one who in some meager land
His bread wins by the horny hand.

(http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Clarel/Part_1/Canto_31)

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I agree there is no point in continuing this discussion. The exception proves the rule. And if you guys can't organize your own language and keep lying to students all over the world about what's really going on in real life, then

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not really sure that I can see the point in continuing with this. You say English is being mangled. Native speakers say that the language is simply changing or evolving. Many words, phrases and usages change over time. I'm pretty sure that textbooks can't keep up with the actual language. It's the same reason that the native speakers here spend a lot of time advising people as to whether or not something sounds natural in addition to/instead of whether it's correct or not.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type