Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I think the original form of 1 is 2 and I think the reson why (he felt) was positioned in-between in 1 is probably in 2, (he felt) may be misunderstood to describe not "the desire" but "land". Is my assuption correct?

1."the desire (he felt) of seeing land."
2."the desire of seeing land (he felt)"

is98
ex)Deseada is a small island which belongs to the Lesser Antilles. This island is said to have obtained its name because it was the first island seen by Christopher Columbus on his second voyage. He gave it this name from the desire he felt of seeing land...

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think the original form of 1 is 2 and I think the reson why (he felt) was positioned in-between in 1 is probably in 2, (he felt) may be misunderstood to describe not "the desire" but "land". Is my assuption correct?
No. The original, #1, is natural enough.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Do they rarely use 2? If so, what is the reason? Is the reason similar to my description?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Do they rarely use 2? If so, what is the reason? Is the reason similar to my description?
I am afraid that I am not a mind reader.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm having enough trouble with "the desire of seeing" instead of "the desire to see". Initially I thought it was a typo and it was meant to read "the desire he felt on seeing land".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'm having enough trouble with "the desire of seeing" instead of "the desire to see".
I didn't like it very much, but there are a couple of dozen citations for 'desire of + -ing form' in COCA, so I accepted it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I didn't like it very much, but there are a couple of dozen citations for 'desire of + -ing form' in COCA, so I accepted it.

Fair enough. One day I will work out how to use COCA. I've tried but I get nonsense results!

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree that "of seeing" is correct, but I agree with emsr2d2 that it would sound more natural to say "to see." I get 116,000 results for a Google phrasal search of "desire of seeing" and 16 million for "desire to see." I realize that Google searches are regional and that, within any given region, they include well-written and poorly written sentences, but the difference is so staggering that I think it is suggestive of the option that most people are using. "Most people" isn't always the best criterion of course, but in this case I would say "to see."

As a side note, I'd probably change "from" to "because of," and "felt" might or might not be correct, depending on what the rest of the sentence is (e.g., He gave it this name because of the desire he had felt to see land while out at sea.). There are many possibilities of course.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Another, even less prevalent option is 'desire for seeing' (64,000+ google hits). I think Columbus - who although a native of Genoa, probably spoke reasonable Spanish - may have been translating deseo/ganas de ver, and trying - hypercorrectly - to avoid 'to see'. ;-)

(Note for the humour-impaired: I know Columbus wasn't remotely involved in this noit of folk etymology, but it seems reasonable suppose that whoever was spoke Spanish.)

b

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The full text from which the quote is taken appears here (#20).

There is no acknowledgment of the author or the date when it was written.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.