• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

what is this money?

What is the money you give another person when you hurt / damage them in an accident and you are guilty?
    Is it "atonement"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: what is this money?

Compensation. There are other terms but that is the first one which springs to mind.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by English4everyone View Post
    What is the money you give another person when you hurt / damage them in an accident and you are guilty?
    Is it "atonement"?
    Personal Injury Compensation

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by billmcd View Post
    Personal Injury Compensation
    That makes me think of companies admitting liability for something (ie an employee slipping on a wet floor which wasn't indicated by a "Wet Floor" sign, as shown in almost all those irritating adverts) and making a payout.

If I crash my car into someone else's car and they are injured as a result, my insurance company will pay them compensation. I don't think that is called Personal Injury Compensation.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    That makes me think of companies admitting liability for something (ie an employee slipping on a wet floor which wasn't indicated by a "Wet Floor" sign, as shown in almost all those irritating adverts) and making a payout.

If I crash my car into someone else's car and they are injured as a result, my insurance company will pay them compensation. I don't think that is called Personal Injury Compensation.
    The question was not about what an insurance payment is called, the question was what is the name for payment that the person who caused the accident pays. If you don't want the police, or your insurance company, to know about the accident - a settlement, a payoff, hush money, or, a bribe.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Gillnetter View Post
    The question was not about what an insurance payment is called, the question was what is the name for payment that the person who caused the accident pays. If you don't want the police, or your insurance company, to know about the accident - a settlement, a payoff, hush money, or, a bribe.
    First, it's not that clear from English4everyone's question whether an insurance company is involved or not, especially with his/her use of "guilty" as opposed to "responsible", but if not, I don't think I would refer to the payment as "hush money", "payoff" or "bribe". However, I would agree with your "settlement" or as ems has responded "compensation". On the other hand, in the U.S. most insurance companies refer to the insurance coverage one can obtain for personal injury to others in auto accidents or on residential property is Bodily Injury Liability. The payment for related injuries is called Personal Injury Compensation. However, that compensation is usually paid directly to the injured party and not paid to the person responsible to "give" (English4everyone's term) to the injured party. It might help (me, at least) if English4everyone would clarify.