• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Grammar help. Since the process temperature of substance A is found within

Hello. I joined this website yesterday and found it really helpful.

I have a question about scientific sentence.

For me, this sentence sounds little bit wierd and I would like to know how to correct this sentence.

"Since the process temperature of substance A is found within 20-30 degree celcius, substances synthesized at this temperature range are compared"

(This sentence represents that process temp of substance A is at 20-30, so the charateristics of substances synthesized at 20-30 oc will be compared.)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Grammar help. Since the process temperature of substance A is found within

Hi Ming and welcome. :)

There are a few potential issues here, depending on what kind of document you are writing, what level you are writing at, and what style guidelines dictate that document. Also, a bit more context would be needed about what you mean by "the substances" later in the sentence.

However, as a guess, and assuming you are just writing for a class, you might be able to say

"Since the process temperature of substance A was found to be within 20 to 30 degrees Celsius, substances synthesized at this temperature range will be compared."

In the first part of the sentence, I'm assuming that the finding was a methodological criterion for the next step in your analysis. It's hard to say without more context though. The second part of the sentence might be clear given the context from the surrounding sentences in your document, but if not then you would have to be more specific in this sentence to clarify what you mean.

Having said that, there are a few mechanical issues that could be problematic, again depending on what kind of document you are writing. For instance, if this is a journal manuscript, you would have to check the required style guidelines (AMA, APA, a specific journal's own style guidelines, something else?).

I'm guessing that APA is not the required style guide, but just as an example, if it were, you would have to capitalize "Substance A," change "Since" to "Because," and use "20 to 30 C." I'd even have to double check whether a space is required before C. The point is that more context is needed, not only about your sentence, but also about your document. Yet another issue often dictated by style guidelines (or by preferences in a given journal or field) is the verb tense. If you are writing the method of your paper in real time, some fields and journals might prefer present tense (even though it would sound poor to me to do so).
    Last edited by Academic Writing; 10-Sep-2012 at 04:47.
    SeriousScholar.com