Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Which is correct: 'emergency meeting' or 'emergent meeting'? I have heard people using both for the same meaning.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Which is correct: 'emergency meeting' or 'emergent meeting'? I have heard people using both for the same meaning.

I have never heard of an "emergent meeting". Try looking up the two words "emergency" and "emergent", you will find that they have entirely different meanings.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, Mami Rengsi. :hi:

'Emergent' meeting would make no sense.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Welcome to the forum, Mami Rengsi. :hi:

'Emergent' meeting would make no sense.

However, I sense there might have been a misunderstanding when hearing "an urgent" meeting.

charliedeut

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
However, I sense there might have been a misunderstanding when hearing "an urgent" meeting.

charliedeut
:up: Sounds pretty likely to me.

(Of course, representatives of 'emergent nations' might be involved in 'an emergency meeting', but as 5jj says, 'ermergent meeting' makes no sense (except in a surreal world where... nah, I won't pursue that red herring ;-)).

b

Mami Rengsi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thanks for your answers. However, I did a little bit of 'googling', and I found out that some do use the word "emergent meeting" Here are some instances:
1. Minutes of the EMERGENT MEETING OF THE
EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE OF THE CHAMBER
[h=1]BJP asks PM to convene emergent meet on Amarnath deaths How many dead pilgrims carried mandatory health certificates?[/h]3. The meeting of a Lodge called to elect a candidate, and confer the Degrees in a case of emergency, or for any other sudden and unexpected cause, has been called an Emergent Meetings The term is not very common, but it has been used by Brother W. S. Mitchell and a few other writers.

Just a few examples. So, thanks again for all your replies. I hope my thread somehow gives you a little something as well :-D;-)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thanks for your answers. However, I did a little bit of 'googling', and I found out that some do use the word "emergent meeting" Here are some instances:
1. Minutes of the EMERGENT MEETING OF THE
EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE OF THE CHAMBER
BJP asks PM to convene emergent meet on Amarnath deaths How many dead pilgrims carried mandatory health certificates?

3. The meeting of a Lodge called to elect a candidate, and confer the Degrees in a case of emergency, or for any other sudden and unexpected cause, has been called an Emergent Meetings The term is not very common, but it has been used by Brother W. S. Mitchell and a few other writers.

Just a few examples. So, thanks again for all your replies. I hope my thread somehow gives you a little something as well :-D;-)

Those examples are very poor English.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: This is the thing about Google. In collecting everything it's bound to rake up a lot of rubbish. ;-) (Which is not to say that rubbish is not information-bearing; it just takes some sifting.)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.