• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

spirit of the poetry

What does this "spirit" mean? "typical quality" or "real meaning"?

mo3-35ex)Travel around the country with Carl Sandburg, a twentieth-century poet who has been called the voice of America. Hop aboard his poetry train on which each amazing poem leads to a different destination —some quiet and peaceful, others alive with enthusiasm and humor. Visit rural back roads and busy cities, and meet friendly animals and ordinary people going about their daily lives. More than thirty wonderful poems are presented in this collection of his poetry, along with special illustrations that capture the spirit of the poetry. With a magic touch, Sandburg manages to find the laughter and meaning in everyday things — doors, rain, colors, the sea, a telephone wire, words, and even a rat! So pack your imagination and get ready to take a special trip with the words of Carl Sandburg.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: spirit of the poetry

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    What does this "spirit" mean? "typical quality" or "real meaning"?

mo3-35ex)Travel around the country with Carl Sandburg, a twentieth-century poet who has been called the voice of America. Hop aboard his poetry train on which each amazing poem leads to a different destination —some quiet and peaceful, others alive with enthusiasm and humor. Visit rural back roads and busy cities, and meet friendly animals and ordinary people going about their daily lives. More than thirty wonderful poems are presented in this collection of his poetry, along with special illustrations that capture the spirit of the poetry. With a magic touch, Sandburg manages to find the laughter and meaning in everyday things — doors, rain, colors, the sea, a telephone wire, words, and even a rat! So pack your imagination and get ready to take a special trip with the words of Carl Sandburg.
    ***Not a teacher***

Of those two, more like "real meaning," though I would say "essence" instead, since "real meaning" implies a correct interpretation of a poem, which is not what this is saying.

Raphey
    If you are a non-native English speaker, please consider checking out my research survey, described elsewhere on the Using English forum.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: spirit of the poetry

I'm not sure I agree with raphey on this. It seems to me that the writer is saying that the illustrations accompanying the poems embody a similar attitude towards the poetry's mundane subjects, being a readiness and ability to find meaning and humour in the everyday. I feel this corresponds with the poetry's qualities rather than its meaning.
    However, without seeing either the poems or the illustrations I can't be sure.

not a teacher