Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi there,

I am a university student starting second year and I don't quite know what type of english speaking is best for me to adapt. I am British Canadian with Egyptian and Saudi blood. I moved to England when I was 5 years old and lived in yorkshire ever since. I have been pointed out by many that I have an accent but neither have I adapted the Yorkshire accent nor any of the British accents around.

From ever since I were young, I enjoyed watching anime shows including DragonBall Z, Pokemon, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Beyblade. I also watched many others but the ones mentioned are the ones that I watch frequently, even upto this date! I don't know but I think I have adapted the Animes' language and I tend to use it because I see it in myself, however, I know that most of the animes around and including the above, are dubbed by american-english speakers.

I go to a university here in Yorkshire, and I am planning to continue with my profession till the end of the PHDs.

I was just wondering, am I being nonsense with myself, or is my english ok as it is, or shall I start to adapt a more formal way of speaking, and if I should, then I would really be greatful if anyone can help out :)

Many thanks and kind regards

Feather

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi there,

I am a university student starting second year and I don't quite know what type of english speaking is best for me to adapt. I am British Canadian with Egyptian and Saudi blood. I moved to England when I was 5 years old and lived in yorkshire ever since. I have been pointed out by many that I have an accent but neither have I adapted the Yorkshire accent nor any of the British accents around.

From ever since I were young, I enjoyed watching anime shows including DragonBall Z, Pokemon, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Beyblade. I also watched many others but the ones mentioned are the ones that I watch frequently, even upto this date! I don't know but I think I have adapted the Animes' language and I tend to use it because I see it in myself, however, I know that most of the animes around and including the above, are dubbed by american-english speakers.

I go to a university here in Yorkshire, and I am planning to continue with my profession till the end of the PHDs.

I was just wondering, am I being nonsense with myself, or is my english ok as it is, or shall I start to adapt a more formal way of speaking, and if I should, then I would really be greatful if anyone can help out :)

Many thanks and kind regards

Feather

There are quite a few problems with your text. Do you want them corrected?

feather

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes of course! Please and thank you! :)
I'm looking forward for this

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Yes of course! Please and thank you! :)
I'm looking forward for this

"I am a university student starting second year and I don't quite know what type of spoken English is best for me to use. I am British Canadian with Egyptian and Saudi blood. I moved to England when I was 5 years old and have lived in Yorkshire ever since. It has been pointed out to me by many people that I have an accent, but I have adopted neither the Yorkshire accent nor any of the British accents around.

Ever since I was young, I have enjoyed watching anime shows, including DragonBall Z, Pokemon, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Beyblade. I have also watched many others but the ones mentioned are the ones that I watch frequently, even up to this date! I don't know, but I think I have adopted the Animes' language and I tend to use it because I identify with it. However, I know that most of the animes around, including the above, are dubbed by American English speakers.

I go to a university here in Yorkshire, and I am planning to continue with my studies up to PhD.

I was just wondering, is my English OK as it is, or shall I start to adopt a more formal way of speaking, and if I should, then I would really be grateful if anyone can help out."

I hope that helps you. If you have any specific questions about English, post them on the forum and somebody will try to help you.

feather

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"I am a university student starting second year and I don't quite know what type of spoken English is best for me to use. I am British Canadian with Egyptian and Saudi blood. I moved to England when I was 5 years old and have lived in Yorkshire ever since. It has been pointed out to me by many people that I have an accent, but I have adopted neither the Yorkshire accent nor any of the British accents around.

Ever since I was young, I have enjoyed watching anime shows, including DragonBall Z, Pokemon, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Beyblade. I have also watched many others but the ones mentioned are the ones that I watch frequently, even up to this date! I don't know, but I think I have adopted the Animes' language and I tend to use it because I identify with it. However, I know that most of the animes around, including the above, are dubbed by American English speakers.

I go to a university here in Yorkshire, and I am planning to continue with my studies up to PhD.

I was just wondering, is my English OK as it is, or shall I start to adopt a more formal way of speaking, and if I should, then I would really be grateful if anyone can help out."

I hope that helps you. If you have any specific questions about English, post them on the forum and somebody will try to help you.

You have my deepest gratitude :) Thank you!! But just one question, are these crucial changes or just trivial ones that will help me out in general writing?

Many thanks and kind Regards

Feather

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
You have my deepest gratitude :) Thank you!! But just one question, are these crucial changes or just trivial ones that will help me out in general writing?

Many thanks and kind Regards

Feather

Most of them are important.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: - and the use of 'use' instead of 'adOpt' avoids your mistake of using '[STRIKE]adApt[/STRIKE]'. (A Br English accent is helpful in this case, as the vowels are more clearly distinct.

b

feather

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
:up: - and the use of 'use' instead of 'adOpt' avoids your mistake of using '[STRIKE]adApt[/STRIKE]'. (A Br English accent is helpful in this case, as the vowels are more clearly distinct.

b

:) Thank you! But whether I use adOpt or adApt, is there really a significant difference in the outermost meaning of the sentence, I mean if I had said 'I am adapting the American English' or 'I am adopting an American English English' I would still be implying the same meaning, right? I am finding this utterly confusing!!

One more thing, my written english is the same as my spoken english, if I speak like this at uni, what kind of english is it classed as? I really want to improve my speaking english, so if anyone has any suggestions, please advice :-?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not sure what you mean by 'outermost meaning', but when you adopt something you take it up and when you adapt it you change it in some way. If you use the wrong one, you will probably be understood. But if you want to study any subject to PhD level you will have to learn to write what you mean.

b

feather

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm not sure what you mean by 'outermost meaning', but when you adopt something you take it up and when you adapt it you change it in some way. If you use the wrong one, you will probably be understood. But if you want to study any subject to PhD level you will have to learn to write what you mean.

b

Sorry for being wordy - I meant to say 'overall meaning' - I think I can class that kind of action as a weakness of mine and a frequent one too!

Well I am already speaking American English, just not the accent, I can't change my accent to American, although I can do it if I hear someone speaking it to me directly. From my original post, I meant to say that I have already adopted to the Animes' ways of conversing with others, just not the formal style. Like I use idioms and other styles of speaking in an American way, rather than the British idioms etc. Please point out to me if I am over reacting, I can be like that sometimes! And it's ok, we are all anonymous on this site (which I believe is a good thing!!).

OK so I have to be clear in my speech and my written work, please can anyone suggest to me a way of improving this? Or does this just fall to how much I spend on improving my English independantly?

Thank you :)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Sorry for being wordy - I meant to say 'overall meaning' - I think I can class that kind of action as a weakness of mine and a frequent one too!

Well I am already speaking American English, just not the accent, I can't change my accent to American, although I can do it if I hear someone speaking it to me directly. From my original post, I meant to say that I have already adopted to the Animes' ways of conversing with others, just not the formal style. Like I use idioms and other styles of speaking in an American way, rather than the British idioms etc. Please point out to me if I am over reacting, I can be like that sometimes! And it's OK we are all anonymous on this site (which I believe is a good thing!!).

OK so I have to be clear in my speech and my written work, please can anyone suggest to me a way of improving this? Or does this just fall to how much I spend on improving my English independently?

Thank you :)

"I meant to say that I have already adopted to the Animes' ways of conversing with others, just not the formal style."
No, you adapt to something or you adopt something.

Status
Not open for further replies.