• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Four questions about Grammar

Hi, Im Jiyeon.
    I have been studying English, but I still need some help for understanding English grammar.
    I really appreciate if you help me solve these problems. Thanks.

Q1. Can I use both Gerund and Infinitive in this sentence?

Ex. (Becoming / To become) an athlete takes physical strength and mental endurance.

I think both are possible in this sentence, cause they both can be used as subjects.
    However, the correct answer is 'Becoming'. Is there certain preference for choosing one of these?

Q2. I'm confused with the meaning of participles.

Ex. The (government-owning / government-owned) building has been remodeled in the last 8 months.

I chose the former, but the correct answer is the latter. How can I understand the difference between them?
    I understand that the building is the subject which was owned by the government, but in the sentence, is it possible that I can use the present participle cause the government is the subject which owns the building?
    Or, is the reason why I can't use the present particible is that the verb 'own' is the non-action verb?

Q3. Can I omit the subject when the subject is too general?

Ex. This is just common sense, as is so often.

Is it right? I think 'This is just common sense, as it is so often.' is the right one, cause we must have complete sentences when connecting two sentences usuing conjunctions.
    I'd like to know whether there are some examples that we can omit the subject. (when connecting complete sentences)

Q4. In this case, 'As' is like a pronoun?

Ex. This is just common sense. Yet, as is so often, common sense can be misleading.

Can I put 'which' instead of 'as' ? I'd like to know which part of speech this can belong to.

I'm so frustrated, cause I'm just a learner without any regular language courses.
    It's so hard to find an adequate explanation in books, so I'm now asking you some help.
    Please help me get through this!

Thanks for reading!

From. Jiyeon.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: Four questions about Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by jiyoun01 View Post

Q1. Can I use both gerund and infinitive in this sentence?

Ex. Becoming/To become an athlete takes physical strength and mental endurance.

I think both are possible in this sentence, because they both can be used as subjects.
    However, the correct answer is 'Becoming'. Who says so?
    They both sound correct to me.

Tip for a more helpful title: Becoming/to become an athlete.

Please ask unrelated questions in separate threads,giving each a helpful title, such as Government-owning/government-owned building, As is so often and Is 'as' like a pronoun?

Rover
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 18-Sep-2012 at 08:40.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by jiyoun01 View Post

Q4. In this case, 'As' is like a pronoun?

Ex. This is just common sense. Yet, as is so often, common sense can be misleading.

Can I put 'which' instead of 'as' ? I'd like to know which part of speech this can belong to

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello,

Please do not be discouraged. English is, indeed, a very difficult language. Little by little, you will soon understand it very well.

In my opinion, your second sentence is "wrong." You are treating "as" as a pronoun, but it is, I believe, a conjunction meaning "in the way in which."

"This is just common sense. Yet, as it so often is, common sense can be misleading."

"This is just common sense. Yet, common sense can be misleading, as it so often is."

Now look at this example of mine. It is not very good, but it may help you get the idea:

"He always uses common sense, as is his usual practice."

I believe that we can call "as" a pronoun. It means something like "which fact."

"He always uses common sense, as [which fact. That is, the fact of his always using common sense] is his usual practice."

I have read that some teachers do not like this use of "as," but it seems that many writers use it because it is a

short way to express an idea. Otherwise, you would need to use two sentences:

"He always uses common sense. It is his usual practice to use common sense. / Common sense is his usual practice."

James

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Welcome to the forums. Please start new threads with your questions 2 and 3. 1 and 4 have already been addressed here.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.