Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 124
    #1

    He can eat "by oneself" or "for onesefl"?

    I came across a question just as mentioned in the title above,which I'm unable to work out by myself. The full context goes as follows:
    "Did you feed the baby milk?"
    "No,he can---"
    A. eat by himself B.feed for himself C. eat for himself D.feed by himself
    As far as I understand , "by oneself" can mean "alone "or "without help from outside", while "for oneself" probably mean "for your own good or benefit". In the light of that , I would prefer A. However, I'm not sure about it because C is strongly recommended by some. So here I am. Which is of A and B the only correct or more appropriate option here? Any help would be appreciated. Besides, I would be more grateful if anyone could enlighten me on the meanings of "in oneself" and "of oneself". Some seem to say they mean the same, others not exactly the same. Thank all those who have helped me out on this site. The world will not be the same without you. I really love this place! Happy every day!

  1. Chicken Sandwich's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Netherlands

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 1,458
    #2

    Re: He can eat "by oneself" or "for onesefl"?

    NOT A TEACHER

    None of the answers make much sense to me. 'No, he can feed himself' is what I would have said in this situation.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2010
    • Posts: 1,696
    #3

    Re: He can eat "by oneself" or "for onesefl"?

    Quote Originally Posted by on the way View Post
    I came across a question just as mentioned in the title above,which I'm unable to work out by myself. The full context goes as follows:
    "Did you feed the baby milk?"
    "No,he can---"
    A. eat by himself B.feed for himself C. eat for himself D.feed by himself
    As far as I understand , "by oneself" can mean "alone "or "without help from outside", while "for oneself" probably mean "for your own good or benefit". In the light of that , I would prefer A. However, I'm not sure about it because C is strongly recommended by some. So here I am. Which is of A and B the only correct or more appropriate option here? Any help would be appreciated. Besides, I would be more grateful if anyone could enlighten me on the meanings of "in oneself" and "of oneself". Some seem to say they mean the same, others not exactly the same. Thank all those who have helped me out on this site. The world will not be the same without you. I really love this place! Happy every day!
    I am most used to hearing "He can eat by himself", meaning that he has the capability to bring food to his mouth and ingest that food. The usage of "milk" in your question tends to confuse the matter a bit in that one does not eat milk, one drinks milk. I agree that you can feed milk to a baby, but the baby doesn't eat milk. My initial response was, "No, he can eat solid food". That being said, option A is the only one that makes any sense to me.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 124
    #4

    Re: He can eat "by oneself" or "for onesefl"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gillnetter View Post
    I am most used to hearing "He can eat by himself", meaning that he has the capability to bring food to his mouth and ingest that food. The usage of "milk" in your question tends to confuse the matter a bit in that one does not eat milk, one drinks milk. I agree that you can feed milk to a baby, but the baby doesn't eat milk. My initial response was, "No, he can eat solid food". That being said, option A is the only one that makes any sense to me.
    Much obliged!Thank you both for your responses.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,500
    #5

    Re: He can eat "by oneself" or "for onesefl"?

    Your thanks are appreciated, on the way, but you don't need to send them in a separate post or to quote our replies back to us.

    We are all happy to accept a simple click on the Like button as your acknowledgement of our help.

    Rover



  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,868
    #6

    Re: He can eat "by oneself" or "for onesefl"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    This should be Did you feed him/xxx....
    What's wrong with "Did you feed the baby milk?"? I'm sure some couples refer to their son or daughter as "the baby".

    Did you feed the baby?
    Did you feed the baby [his/her] milk?
    Did you feed the baby milk or juice?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,903
    #7

    Re: He can eat "by oneself" or "for onesefl"?

    Err, nothing- my bad.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2010
    • Posts: 1,696
    #8

    Re: He can eat "by oneself" or "for onesefl"?

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    What's wrong with "Did you feed the baby milk?"? I'm sure some couples refer to their son or daughter as "the baby".

    Did you feed the baby?
    Did you feed the baby [his/her] milk?
    Did you feed the baby milk or juice?
    It makes sense to me, but I would expect to hear, "Did you give the baby his milk", or, "Did you feed the baby".

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 17-Sep-2012, 04:23
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-Jul-2012, 19:53
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-Sep-2008, 08:27
  4. confusing words "expressed" or "express" and "named" or"names"
    By Dawood Usmani in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-Oct-2007, 19:33
  5. "in a lonely way" & "by oneself"...
    By sula54 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Apr-2005, 02:44

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •