• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

error

I have recently given an exam in which sentence correction was asked and I am giving here one sentence.Please note that no context was provided 1 This watch is superior and more expensive than that one. I think that it may be 2 This watch is superior and more expensive than that. 3 This watch is superior and more expensive than that watch. 4 This watch is superior to and more expensive than that one. Can you tell me the exact error and its correction and please the correct sentence. You may point out any error which I missed. I would be very thankful to you

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: error

Quote Originally Posted by Abhish View Post
    I have recently given an exam in which sentence correction was asked and I am giving here one sentence.Please note that no context was provided 1 This watch is superior and more expensive than that one. I think that it may be 2 This watch is superior and more expensive than that. 3 This watch is superior and more expensive than that watch. 4 This watch is superior to and more expensive than that one. Can you tell me the exact error and its correction and please the correct sentence. You may point out any error which I missed. I would be very thankful to you
    "4 This watch is superior to and more expensive than that one." This one is correct, can you see why?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

No sorry,please tell me why it is correct.We use to with superior but in this case ,I think we wont use superior to because it is followed by and.Anyway I am a non-native speakr,You may be right. Please provide me the logic behind it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Abhish View Post
    1 This watch is superior and more expensive than that one. OK
    2 This watch is superior and more expensive than that No, there is nothing to compare it with.
    3 This watch is superior and more expensive than that watch. OK
    4 This watch is superior to, and more expensive, than that one. OK, with commas.