Results 1 to 5 of 5
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 425
    #1

    Start /Present Simple or Continuous

    Would it be acceptable to say: Do we start right now?

    That is, you didn't think that your boss was going to start doing something in a few minutes but judging by some signs he must have started already. I know it would be fine to say

    Are you going to start right now? or maybe Are you starting right now?

    But if I feel that there is no time for "to be going" and the actions probably have started already would it be ok to say an abrupt and urgent "Do we start right now?"

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,902
    #2

    Re: Start /Present Simple or Continuous

    Quote Originally Posted by Kotfor View Post
    Would it be acceptable to say: Do we start right now?

    That is, you didn't think that your boss was going to start doing something in a few minutes but judging by some signs he must have started already. I know it would be fine to say

    Are you going to start right now? or maybe Are you starting right now?

    But if I feel that there is no time for "to be going" and the actions probably have started already would it be ok to say an abrupt and urgent "Do we start right now?"
    I'm not sure why your original question used "we" if your only point is that you didn't realise your boss was going to start doing something almost immediately.

    If it was actually something that both you and your boss were going to do, then you could say "Have you started already?" or "Oh, you have started. Do you need me to start right now too?" or "Were we supposed to start straight away?"
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 425
    #3

    Re: Start /Present Simple or Continuous

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I'm not sure why your original question used "we" if your only point is that you didn't realise your boss was going to start doing something almost immediately.
    It's just because it's implied that as soon as he starts doing a certain thing I have to do another one.

    Yea, I understand that there are a lot of ways to say it, but I was specifically interested in "Do we/you start right now."
    Last edited by Kotfor; 19-Sep-2012 at 20:20.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,910
    #4

    Re: Start /Present Simple or Continuous

    I wouldn't.

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,902
    #5

    Re: Start /Present Simple or Continuous

    Quote Originally Posted by Kotfor View Post
    It's just because it's implied that as soon as he starts doing a certain thing I have to do another one.

    Yea, I understand that there are a lot of ways to say it, but I was specifically interested in "Do we/you start right now."
    That doesn't sound natural to me.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

Similar Threads

  1. present simple or present continuous to express the future
    By lapetitebiquette in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29-Mar-2010, 00:54
  2. [Grammar] Pls help with simple present & present continuous
    By Kashma in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-Dec-2008, 03:24
  3. Simple Present Vs Present Perfect Continuous
    By ravikumarkargam in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-Apr-2008, 07:45
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-Aug-2007, 13:09
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-Mar-2006, 19:05

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •