• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Need help with translation

Renaissance to Goya - exhibition at the British Museum. I can't make it out whether "from" is omitted before "renaissance". The article reads, that unknown Goya's and Velazquez' drawings are exhibited. Does in mean "from Velazquez (Renaissance) to Goya? Or does it somehow mean "Goya's renaissance" (unknown drawings brought into light)
    Thank you

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Need help with translation

Quote Originally Posted by Margueritta View Post
    Renaissance to Goya - exhibition at the British Museum. I can't make it out whether "from" is omitted before "renaissance". The article reads, that unknown Goya's and Velazquez' drawings are exhibited. Does in mean "from Velazquez (Renaissance) to Goya? Or does it somehow mean "Goya's renaissance" (unknown drawings brought into light)
    Thank you
    I assume that there is more to the article than you have provided here. What your text says is that there is on exhibit some drawings by Goya and Velazquez that have not been seen by the public before this exhibit.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I have found the piece in question on the net and I see that "Renaissance to Goya" is the name of the exhibition. Part of the piece also reads:

" It will present for the first time a coherent study, largely based on the collections of the British Museum, that looks at their history from around 1400 through to and including Goya (died 1828)."

Based on the underlined part of the statement, we can see that the exhibition will show examples from the Renaissance period through to Goya's lifetime. Yes, technically, there is an omitted "From" in the title. The "From" is not necessary in my opinion. Titles, much like newspaper headlines, frequently omit words for the sake of brevity and neatness.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Thank you.