Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I found the following definition at redeem - definition of redeem by Macmillan Dictionary

to
improve something that is not very good by including something that is good A difficult year for the company was redeemed by one very successful deal.

redeeming feature: Smith's only redeeming feature is that he knows his job.

However, I do not see how "redeeming feature" relates to "to improve something that is not very good by including something that is good". To me, the redeeming seems to have the meaning similar to good in the above sentence.

Could you kindly enlighten me on this issue?

Thanks!

JY

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi,

In the example sentence from Macmillan, I read "redeemed" as "compensated": the very successful deal made the hard year end with a positive event/operation.

As for "redeeming feature": IMO, it means that the guy is not nice to his co-workers, maybe not always to clients, but he knows his job well, which compensates for his bad attitudes.

charliedeut

Jiayun

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thanks!

I found the following writing on the webpage of IMDb (IMDb :: Boards :: Bernie (2011) :: 6.8, really?)

I agree with you completely about the IMDb ratings. I just wanted to add, for example, that you have the UNDER 18-yrs-old voting on R-rated films and dramas that they might not have the maturity to fully understand and then those voting for a film they have not seen. Take ALL the ranked films on IMDb. The #1 ranked "The Shawshank Redemption" has 20,915 people that rated it a ONE (out of ten), and the #2 "The Godfather" received 27,203 votes of ONE. There is almost no reason to rate a film a ONE, because there is always something redeeming about a movie, ESPECIALLY, when the viewers chooses what THEY want to see. There are some genre of films that I don't like, but I do not go to see those. The ones I CHOOSE to see, if they are "bad" they would at least deserve a FIVE rating, because how bad could it be to give it less than that?

[Unquote]

What does "there is always something redeeming about a movie" mean?

Thanks!

JY

Hi,

In the example sentence from Macmillan, I read "redeemed" as "compensated": the very successful deal made the hard year end with a positive event/operation.

As for "redeeming feature": IMO, it means that the guy is not nice to his co-workers, maybe not always to clients, but he knows his job well, which compensates for his bad attitudes.

charliedeut

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain

IMO, pretty much the same as before: however bad the movie is, there's always something good (or less bad, at least) to make up for its deficiencies.

charliedeut

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
]

For example, Mission Impossible 4. Terrible, dreadful, awful film. Its redeeming feature (for me) is that Tom Cruise is in it! In the case of that film, I am prepared to watch a bad film because I particularly like the main actor so that makes up (at least partly) for the fact that it's a bad film.

In the opinion of one of my friends, Mamma Mia is a terrible film BUT she is prepared to watch it because it contains Abba songs and was filmed in Greece. In her opinion, those are two redeeming features which make up for the appalling storyline and the fact that Pierce Brosnan sings in it!

Status
Not open for further replies.