• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

keep it from/to/for

While reading a passage, I came across the following sentences which include the same verb "keep", but different prepositions.

1. Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves.

2. Seeing the growing market for its winning pineapple, Del Monte tried to keep the market to itself.

3. Those companies argued successfully that Del Monte's attempts to keep the golden pineapple for itself were just a way to knock them out of the market.

My questions:

1. What does the first sentence mean? I guess it means that "if you bring happiness to others, you will be happy too". Am I right?

2. What is the difference between "to" and "for" in Sentence 2 and Sentence 3? Do they mean the same?

Thanks for your help!

Jason

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: keep it from/to/for

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlulu_2000 View Post
    While reading a passage, I came across the following sentences which include the same verb "keep", but different prepositions.

1. Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves.

2. Seeing the growing market for its winning pineapple, Del Monte tried to keep the market to itself.

3. Those companies argued successfully that Del Monte's attempts to keep the golden pineapple for itself were just a way to knock them out of the market.

My questions:

1. What does the first sentence mean? I guess it means that "if you bring happiness to others, you will be happy too". Am I right? I have no idea what it's supposed to mean.

2. What is the difference between "to" and "for" in Sentence 2 and Sentence 3? Do they mean the same? More or less, yes.

Thanks for your help!

Jason
    Bhai.