• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

Calcined or calcinated?

I am writing an article about concrete. The decomposition of calcium carbonate is called "calcination". The verb is "to calcine".

Now, I would call the decomposed calcium carbonate "calcined" calcium carbonate. But I also find "calcinated" calcium carbonate. It seems strange to me, I can not explain the grammatical construction of this version.

Can someone tell me if "calcinated" is also correct or if only "calcined" should be used?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Re: Calcined or calcinated?

Hi and Welcome Marc ,

I found this relating both verbs, so i guess it comes down to a matter of either personal preference (in this case you could use either one, or alternate them) or of minute technical differences (in this case, maybe someone with more expertise in this field than me might prove far more helpful).

charliedeut
    Please be aware that I'm neither a native English speaker nor a teacher.

3. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

Re: Calcined or calcinated?

Thanks for your reply! I do find the version "to calcinate" on a number of webpages, but they all seem to come from non-English speaking countries. And the Oxford dictionary does not list "calcinate", neither in the British English nor in the US English listings.

That's why I was asking this question. If only one of both is correct, I do not want to continue confusing the other people.